Thursday, November 2, 2023

Taper Tantrums

Historically, I've always done a three week taper before a race. This year, due to a couple of unintentional lower mileage weeks later in the training cycle, I decided to only do a two week taper, with last week as taper week #1, and this week, race week, as taper week #2, which means a pretty steep drop-off in mileage. We'll see how it all plays out!

Monday, it rained all day so I decided to take advantage of the indoor track for my walk during Sam's swim practice. The Y was incredibly busy! Kept it short and sweet. (1.1 miles walked)

Tuesday, only three days after it being in the mid-70s on Saturday, we woke up to frost on the plants and the windshields, with the thermometer reading 33 degrees. Brrr!


After work, I made a quick stop at the grocery store and then headed out for taper run #1 on the powerlines around 3:30. A nice, bright, crisp afternoon. (4.0 miles)



Although it is Halloween, for the first time in 10 years, Sam is not going trick or treating ๐Ÿ˜žEver since they were 3 years old, we have always trick or treated with Anne and family, and it feels really weird to spend Halloween without them! I think it just wasn't the same for Sam without Anne around, and being a freshman, so she decided against it this year. I guess it is the end of an era. Sniff. But I had to smile at all my Facebook memories of Halloweens past. It was always so fun to have the girls together, all dressed up! So cute๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿ‘ป


Wednesday, was a bit of a mishmash kind of day. I did a few hours of work in the morning and then shut down my computer to tackle the race and travel to-dos on my list. I also got a haircut. Walked to and fro, (0.45 miles walked) and then Ryan and I headed out around 3:00 for a walk around the school block. (1.7 miles walked). A brisk and bright afternoon to be out.

Thursday morning I was up early for taper run #2, and final run before Rim to River! Dark and chilly road run up through Highland Green. (4.0 miles)

Then home to do the final bit of packing, make sure Sam was set and get her to school before we took off. Pretty sunrise as we drove to school. 



Many thanks to Mom and Dad for having Sam with them while we are away and doing all the school and swim pick ups and drop offs. And of course to Sam too, for just rolling with my crazy ventures! ❤️❤️

And as it is the end of another month, and apparently I skipped September, here's the wrap-up from the past two months:

September
Miles run: 213.9

Miles walked: 12.9

Miles XC skiied: 0

6 zero days

October
Miles run: 214.4

Miles walked: 12.9

Miles XC skiied: 0

5 zero days

YTD
Miles run: 1,916.2

Miles walked: 154.7

Miles XC skiied: 18.1

57 zero days

No comments: