Sunday, November 12, 2023

Rim to River Recovery Week #1

Monday was not an ideal recovery day. We were up and out of the cabin at 7:00 am to start the long trek back north. The plan was to stop overnight in CT, but we were moving along fairly well and traffic was reasonably light, especially down south, with only the Merritt Parkway being backed up, so in the end, when Ryan suggested that it might be better to just rip the bandaid off and get the final stretch over with, we were in agreement. It would end up meaning a really long day in the car as we didn't get home until 10:00 pm but it did mean we had the full day on Tuesday at home, and in the end it was totally worth it. 

Despite all the sitting and time in the car on Monday, which my legs were not happy about at all, I woke up and was moving around pretty easily on Tuesday without a lot of soreness, which was pretty great. I was, of course, still pretty fatigued overall though! The day went by quickly with some work to be done done, a few loads of laundry completed, all the race gear unpacked, cleaned and put away, with a bit of sitting on the couch and working on my race report until it was time to head over to school to pick Sam up for swim. It was a nice afternoon, so I decided on a short walk around the swim block. Took it easy and it felt good to get in a bit of movement. (1.4 miles walked)


Oh yes, and I also signed myself up for the Western States lottery πŸ˜‚ I know it is a really long shot, as there have been a record number of entrants so far, but I have tickets so I figure I might as well throw my name in the ring! I mean, why not?!


Wednesday was a long day at work as I had a lot to catch up on. I thought about taking a walk when I got home, but decided against it as I was feeling pretty tired. And I was extremely grateful Mom had left a chicken pot pie in the freezer for dinner for us - it was so nice to not have to cook! Thanks, Mom πŸ’—

I had originally intended to get out for a walk after work on Thursday, but as it was a damp, raw day with spitting rain and hail, it was just not the kind of weather I want to walk in unless I have to, and since these next two weeks are recovery, there was just no need!  

Friday, I got some work done early, hit the farmers market for some produce and eggs, and then headed over to Pineland to meet up with Val and Anne for a walk. Overcast and chilly but we warmed up as we walked along and chatted away. Then we sat and drank coffee and enjoyed the brown butter pumpkin muffins that Anne had baked and brought to share. Yum! Always nice to catch up with friends πŸ’•(3.0 miles walked)


Saturday, Ryan and I headed out after lunch to the Cathance for a walk. Blustery and leafy but bright and sunshiney. Definitely feeling like November with the shift in weather. I don't think we'll be having too many warm days going forward for a while. I was happy to get out, but we may have taken the short way back on some closed trails though, as I am still just a bit tired overall and was not wanting to walk too far πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† Always nice to get out in the woods for a walk with Ryan.πŸ’•(2.8 miles walked)








Then, as Sam was at a sleepover at Lauren's, we enjoyed a yummy dinner and drinks at Enoteca Athena. Always a treat! 

Cheers!

And onto dessert drinks πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‹πŸ˜Š


As I was headed down to Harpswell to pick Sam up at Lauren's at 11:00 today, I figured I'd leave early and get in a walk while I was headed that way. I always love the chance to get out to the ocean. Ryan, being the non-morning person that he is, decided not to join me πŸ˜‰Kristen called me a few minutes before I turned into the parking lot, so I ended up talking with her the whole walk. A nice crisp bright morning for a walk on the Skofield Shores trails to wrap up recovery week #1. (1.4 miles walked)






Such a pretty view


Love the pop of color from all the winterberry at this time of year 😍

I've got a busy work week coming up along with a colonoscopy on Friday - my first, which I am very much not looking forward to 😱😫but which I know is important. The plan is for another week of recovery and no running, which honestly fits in pretty well with what is on the schedule. 

Although I have of course been a bit fatigued overall, I am buoyed by the fact that my legs have been feeling decent this week, and so far recovery seems to coming along nicely! I have a feeling I will be more than ready to head back out for a run early in the week of Thanksgiving!

No comments: