Sunday, September 10, 2023

Still Hot and Humid...

Started off the week with the Labor Day holiday. Met up with Emily down in Yarmouth to run the Westside Trail. Earlier in the summer, we had explored part of the trail but I had never been to the end before. It was a beautiful, summer-like, bright, warm and humid day. We had fun chatting away as we ran along, and even ran into Emily, Ian and the kids, who were out for a walk. What timing! Of course, we were only 2 miles into the run and the second we stopped to talk, I started sweating like mad. 😂😂 The powerlines were awash with aster and goldenrod - so pretty! I didn't get any photos but we did stop at the beach by the Cousins Island bridge on the way back so that Emily could jump in the water so I at least got a few on the run photos there. I did take off my socks and shoes and wade in up to mid-calf, but that was enough. Ha! Definitely feeling like it was taking a bit too much energy to keep up with Emily by the end. Maybe a bit too much to run 6 days in a row the week after a 50k, even if the mileage was relatively low?! Oops. Oh yes, and most likely, darn that age gap!😉😜Ha! But all told, a fun run and a good way to start off the day! (10.2 miles)





Then it was home for a quick lunch and Sam and I were off to pick up Dad for a walk. Mom was out looking for an outfit for our friend Al's funeral later in the week and Ryan was headed back to MA for our friend Jon's dad's wake. Aie. 😢

The three of us had a nice time catching up as we walked through the fields and woods down to the water's edge. It was high tide, so there was no beach to walk on but still, always lovely to get down to the ocean. And for the second time in one day! (1.5 miles walked)






Snuck in a quick run around Highland Green on Wednesday between dropping Sam off for late start and getting on a call at 10:00. Summer conditions continue... another warm and humid day. (6.0 miles)

Ryan spent the day on Thursday prepping for his Friday colonscopy (oh the joys of getting old, and I’m so excited for mine in November 😬😬😫😫), and then on Friday morning, after I dropped him off at the hospital, I headed out for my run from there. I knew there were some trails around the campus and it appeared from the Strava heatmaps that there was some connection from there down to Thomas Point Road, so I just figured I'd wander around for a while. The trail loop on the hospital grounds was much more technical - narrow, rocky, rooty - than I would have expected! I'm guessing it doesn't get much use. Took an old road from there out to Thomas Point Rd and got in a few road miles along the marsh before heading back. Pretty. The procedure went more quickly than I anticipated so I only got in part of my run before Ryan was ready to be picked up and we headed home. Definitely warm. (6.0 miles)


After I made sure Ryan was OK and was settled in on the couch, I changed into a new, dry set of running clothes and headed across the street for my remaining miles. Looped up through Highland Green, along the back dirt road and back on the powerlines. Found a nice patch of ladies tresses in the boggy area where the cotton sedge and rose pogonia also bloom. (4.0 miles)


The ideal scenario for Saturday was to get in the long run, but it was insanely humid and already (or still??) 70 degrees when I headed out at 7:20 am and I just did not feel great and had no energy so it turned into another 10 mile day. Ran a loop through town, mostly road but with a few trail sections mixed in. Not ideal but it just means I'll be getting up early on Sunday to get in the long run before I head to Bradbury to volunteer for the Bruiser. As always, nothing like long run procrastination. 😭😜 (10.1 miles)




Ryan wanted to get some movement in after a morning spent on the couch, so I joined him for a late afternoon walk around the school block. Way too hot. (1.7 miles walked)

Then of course, because I had to get up early, I didn't sleep well. Sigh. Ah well, I was out the door a few minutes before 5:00 am this morning anyway. Dark for the first hour. Still humid but temps were only in the mid-60s so it was at least cooler than yesterday! Ran the cart paths twice before running some roads, looping around on the Foreside trail and then back up into Highland Green for a few more cart paths and road miles to finish things up. Five deer, one fox and one red eft. Felt reasonably OK energy-wise but of course, soggy and soaked by the time I was done, and doing a bit of beating myself up over having originally wanted more than "just" 20 miles for my long run this week. But glad to have had the drive to get up and get those miles in regardless, especially at the end of a rough week conditions-wise for running. (20.0 miles)




Then it was off to Bradbury, where it was fun to catch up with friends while helping at the finish line and to cheer all the runners in! 

And just because, here is Gigi looking cute 😻


No comments: