Sunday, October 24, 2021

Starting the Taper

It's been a long time since I've tapered for a race. As in Western States 2019. 😂😁😉 And while I'm not quite sure what 24 hours at Hamsterwheel on November 6th is going to bring, I'm setting my hopes on 100 miles. So with that, I definitely need to taper, whether I've put in enough training or not. It is time!

Monday, Ryan joined me in Bath for a walk during swim practice, which was a nice treat! We veered off my typical route, enjoying the William Zorach Spirit of the Dance sculpture in the middle of the pretty garden outside the library and walking down to the water before heading back uphill to the Y. Bath is an interesting city. Fun to explore a bit more than usual. (2.4 miles walked)


In typical fashion, I did not get up and out the door into the darkness on Tuesday morning, so instead I got in a late afternoon run down to the river and back before getting dinner ready and sending Sam and Ryan off to swim practice while I did a few things around the house. Overcast and breezy, with the more muted and subtle tones of autumn that appear after the showy maples leaves have dropped. (6.0 miles)



Wednesday I didn't mage to get out of bed, nor did I get up Thursday morning in the darkness. Oops. Does the excuse of being woken up by one of the cats puking at 2:30 am right next to the bed work? Gah. Was working from home, so started work a bit early, dropped Sam off at school and then headed out around 8:00 am. Ran the Highland Green loop and was back at the computer by 9:00 am. Cool and overcast. (6.0 miles)

Rain the early morning hours on Friday and incredibly heavy, humid, muggy and soggy when I headed out at 8:00 am. Ran the powerlines and out around the dump pond. Hip flexors are feeling a bit cranky. (10.0 miles)


Ryan headed over to Chalk Pond on Friday after lunch for a boy's weekend, with helping Neal take the dock out as the excuse but we all know it was mostly just to hang out, 😉😊 and I took Sam to swim and headed out for a short walk around the Bath block during the first half of practice. (1.8 miles walked)

Then, Sam and I went over to mom and dad's for dinner. We were excited to try the new noodle place in town, but were a bit disappointed. Ah well. 

I told Sam I'd wait until she woke up to head out for my run on Saturday but she was still asleep at 8:45 so I left her a note and headed out. Overcast and a bit cool. First run of the season in tights! Ran down to the river and back. Things are browning up out in the woods, but there are still some nice hints of the color, and always love the blueberry bush leaves turning red! Sam finally woke up around 9:25! (6.0 miles)



We did a few errands, picked up lunch from Wild Oats for a treat, and then went for a walk around the block before I dropped Sam off at Anne's for a sleepover and Halloween costume making. Breezy! (1.7 miles walked)

Mom and Dad had invited me over for dinner, so I headed that way around 5:00, only to unfortunately receive a phone call that Anne had a sudden onset migraine and the sleepover was not in the cards 😢 Poor kiddo! 

Sunday morning dawned cold and clear. 39 degrees - brrrr! It was pretty cold in the house so I turned on the heat too. No reason not to be comfortable! I dillydallyed a bit but finally headed out around 7:30 for my run. With the colder temps and a breeze blowing, it was tights and gloves today! Ran the roads around town. Did a lot of stretching, rolling and found some new activation exercises, and the hip flexor felt much better. Decided not to push it and add on more miles. I would ideally have liked to have gotten in a shorter-long run this weekend, but oh well. 5 more miles Friday or today won't make much difference in the long term, even if it might feel better to get in 15 vs. 10. Bright blue sky and the moon above. Pretty out there. (10.0 miles)


Ryan got home just as I was headed to drop Sam back off at Anne's. She was feeling better and the girls really wanted to finish up their Halloween costumes! Once I got back, we headed across the street on the powerlines for a walk. Cool and breezy, but nice to have the chance to catch up on the weekend happenings! (2.0 miles walked)

And just for fun, a few cute cat photos 😻

Pretending not to like each other, but holding hands anyway 💗

Awww 


No comments: