Friday, May 10, 2019

Tapering

Only three short runs on tap this week so pretty quiet on the running front pre-Wapack.

I intended to get out Monday morning, but I was still tired from the weekend, so I slept in instead. But then the sun was shining, temps were rising and the day turned out to be truly beautiful and I simply couldn't resist, so I left work early and got in a nice run around the Heath before picking Sam up. Sunshine, a bit of mud, one deer, and one patch of trailing arbutus blooming. Legs felt a bit heavy. (4.5 miles)



Wanted to get out and enjoy the nice weather with Sam so instead of heading straight home, we headed over for a walk by the swinging bridge. Always nice for a walk and talk with my girl 😍 (1.2 miles walked)



Wednesday morning, I headed back out around the Heath. It was such an incredibly gorgeous morning, I so wanted to keep going. Darn you, taper! One deer, shimmering light and a few new patches of trailing arbutus blooming along the powerlines. (4.5 miles)




This morning, I dropped Sam off and headed over to Pennelville so that I could check on the status of the wildflowers out on the trails out in Coleman Farm 😀 It was cold and damp and raw and rainy, but with the grey skies, the new greenery on the forest floor was just all the more brilliant. False lily of the valley, trout lily, wild oat and indian wild cucumber greenery is all coming up, along with unfurling ferns. Not much blooming yet though still - only a few daffodils blooming by the pond plus a few trout lily flowers out but not unfurled in the rain. The one small patch of purple trillium was up the blooms are tight without any color showing. Still, it won't be long! Just a nice little shake-out to keep the legs feeling loose! (3.2 miles)



Trout lily


Purple trillium

And look who came to visit the backyard today? 6 turkeys! Now that is new!

The squirrel seems unfazed...

Looking forward to a long day out in the hills tomorrow at Wapack!!



No comments: