Sunday, March 3, 2024

End of February

January seemed like it lasted forever, but February just seems to have flown by. Hard to believe it is already March!

It was not a week for beautiful photos. The snow has pretty much melted leaving bare ground, mud and some ice, and it was rainy and/or overcast most days. Honestly, this sort of weather is kind of depressing, especially at this time of year. I haven't xc skiied once, and the kids haven't even had a proper snow day this winter! Climate change is real, people...

I am back to my old habits and did not start my run week until Wednesday. Sigh. Tuesday was a day full of meetings and as I didn't get up and out early, I missed my chance for a run. However, as I was over at the Bowdoin campus for several fellowship interviews, I took the opportunity to get in a walk mid-afternoon before heading back to the office for more meetings. 🤪🤪Warm. (1.93 miles walked)

Got out around 6:30 am on Wednesday for a run around Highland Green. Misty, rainy, soggy, overcast and blustery. Ran out via the roads but came back on the powerlines. (6.0 miles)


After Wednesday's rain and a drop in temperature overnight, I wasn't interested in running icy roads in the dark, so I did a bit of work early on the computer on Thursday and then after dropping Sam off at school, got my run before I headed to the office. Another Highland Green run. Windy, icy and chilly. (6.1 miles)

Friday, after doing a bit of work and getting a few errands done, I headed out for my run from the Gone Fishing parking lot at the dump. A fair amount of bare ground but still a decent percentage of ice to tiptoe around. Temps were cold enough that the powerlines were solid, but once things warm up, it's going to be messy out there. Bright and chilly. Cooper's hawk flew overhead and alighted on a nearby tree as I ran on the trails near the dump ponds, but I wasn't fast enough for a photo. Nice to run on trails, and glad not have to have to wear the spikes. (8.0 miles)


Sam has a bit of a cold, so we skipped Friday practice, but I had planned on walking up at the Y, so I laced up my shoes and got in a short walk around the school block later in the afternoon. (1.73 miles walked)

Overcast, windy and sort of raw morning on Saturday, depsite not being super chilly out. Powerlines were as expected but not terrible running as long as you didn't mind a bit of walking around the icy spots and a few ankle turns on the frozen mud and sand. Five deer seen bounding through the woods mid-run, their white tails flashing, and a lot of birds calling. (10.0 miles)


Rain started up later in the day on Saturday and was still falling on Sunday morning. So dreary. I wasn't in a rush to get out, so did some work on the computer, did some house stuff, and relaxed a bit and then decided well, it's lunchtime I might as well eat and I'll go out later. So motivated! 😏😆😉Finally headed out around 1:15. Sky had brightened up and it was warm and breezy. I didn't feel like running roads so put on my trail shoes and decided I'd just wing it with the route and see what I found. Ended up running the cart paths and out into the Cathance. Very soggy, squishy, soft, muddy and so much water. River was roaring. Ryan caught me with about two miles to go, which was nice 😊Glad to have gotten it done, and to have put in another 40 mile week. (10.0 miles)




February wrap-up:

167.0 run miles
16.01 walk miles
0.0 XC miles

YTD:

280.5 run miles
25.8 walk miles
0.0 XC miles

No comments: