Sunday, August 20, 2023

Fun with Friends

Ryan was still away at the beginning of the week, and Sam was tired from all her activity last week and over the weekend, so it was a mellow start to the week other than work being busy. Got out Tuesday for an afternoon walk around the school block, just to get in some movement for the day. (1.7 miles walked)

With school starting next week 😱😱😱, I really need to get back in the routine of some early morning running, but that did not happen on Wednesday. πŸ˜‚ Instead, since I was working at home, I did some work early, headed to the grocery store right after it opened at 7:00 (the best time to shop as no one is ever there!) and the finally headed out for a run around 10:30. Did a lollypop out and back on the powerlines. Seriously, so many blackberries. They were really impeding my progress πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‹ Nice out if muggy. Definitely looking late summer out there with the blackberries, viburnum berries starting to turn blush colored and the asters. (6.0 miles)




Did a bit of a better job on Thursday, getting out at 6:15, so I'm getting there! So humid and no air movement at all. I really could use some cool crisp weather! One deer seen. (6.0 miles)


Friday, I managed to get out at a reasonably early hour as well, as I needed to get into town to pick up donuts at Frosty's and hit the farmer's market for berries, corn and pie before we headed over to Chalk Pond for the weekend. With a twist this year, as Sam and I were picking Lauren up on the way over to join us for the weekend so that Sam could have a friend to hang out with and not just have to listen to all of us oldies reminsce about the good old days πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ˜›

Taking this week as a down week, so I just ran the Highland Green loop. 6:30 am and super humid. So heavy! (6.0 miles)

Then all that humidity released itself into the atmosphere, with the rain starting as we were picking up Lauren around 10:15. And then it was truly horribly pouring, so much so that we were going 20 mph in a 70 mph zone because you literally could not see more than 5 feet in front of you. Not ideal driving conditions, let me tell you. Never been so glad to see blue sky in my life once it finally reached us near the Hookset Commons Man rest area. Whew! And then it was beautiful the rest of the afternoon, and after a bit of time with the dogs, Sam and Lauren got out on the water to paddleboard and float around, while Neal, Kendra, Ryan and I sat on the deck catching up. 




How did she get so grown up?! 😭



Bonding with Bodi πŸ˜…πŸ˜†

Then there was some dancing, and a dog walk around the pond with Neal while we waited for everyone else, and the pizza for dinner, to arrive. So many squished red efts along the road πŸ˜ͺ😟 but we did manage to save 6 of them along the route. (1.2 miles walked)



I do love these little guys 😍


The evening was pretty chill, with everyone hanging out inside or in the hot tub or by the fire. Temps were dropping nicely, so I stayed inside. I didn't quite bring enough layers for a breezy evening in the high 50s! But I am definitely not complaining. So nice not to have it be humid!!

Saturday morning, I met up with Vicky and Laurie for a run/hike adventure. A nice cool breezy morning. Still humid but it felt so much better with cooler temps! We ran around the pond and then up on the trails through the Stoney Brook Preserve to Baker Hill Road, which had some decent climbing and descending and offered us some pretty views out over the countryside to Sunapee.


From there, we cut through on an old, muddy ATV road and across the street to climb Sunset Hill. A stout 1 mile climb, with a nice view of the lake at the top.


Then it was down the backside and along another old grassy, overgrown trail/road to a long hilly road climb where we eventually intersected with the Fisherfield Trail. Lots of mushrooms and red efts, a lots of janky side trail and not a lot of running in the final few miles πŸ˜‚ but overall, a lot of fun to run with friends and catch up along the way! (9.6 miles)


Beautiful patch of violet coral mushroom

The rest of the day was spent relaxing in and out of the house, and in and out of the pond and the hot tub for the girls πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Šbefore I walked with them up to the community game room and then continued back the long way around the pond. No living red efts on the pavement today. Maybe too cool out? (1.4 miles walked)


View from the far end of the pond on my walk

Too cold to eat outside or even hang out by the fire pit, so we all gathered around in the kitchen/living area eating, drinking, laughing, chatting and enjoying the evening. There was even a Scotch toast to Doug, as he couldn't join us this year. Definitely not my preferred drink, that's for sure! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜


Sunday morning, I was the first one up and I headed out solo for a run. Another cool, breezy morning. The temps in the high 50s felt soooo nice! I ran without a pack, as the loop I was doing was a lot more road than Saturday, and even though the mileage was pretty similar, it was much quicker! Ran the shortest way over to Stoney Brook Preserve and then all the way down Baker Hill Road to 103, where I ran down to and along Blodgett Landing along the shores of Lake Sunapee. The road from the lake then wove up and along the shoreline with some stout hills. Once back at 103, I cut across to climb up the backside of Sunset Hill, where surprisingly, there were quite a few people out hiking! Weird. But I had the summit to myself, and didn't run into anyone on my way back down to Chalk Pond Road. Then a mile of pavement back to Neal and Kendra's. A fun loop and felt good. (9.3 miles)




Lake Sunapee

Gold spindles

Look at this one, so little! πŸ’•



When I got back from my run, everyone was coming over for breakfast, so we hung out for a while before people peeled off for their own activities. The girls got back out on the paddleboards and then in the hot tub for a while before lunch, and then it was time to head home. A really fun weekend, and always so good to spend time with friends! πŸ’•



No comments: