Monday, June 21, 2021

Summertime

Too nice to sit inside at the computer all day on Monday, so I got out for a walk before lunch as I knew I'd been on Zoom calls at 2:00 and 4:00. Easy walk around the school block. (1.8 miles walked)

Up early on Tuesday for a misty, foggy, humid, heavy run on the cart paths. It had rained overnight, which is definitely needed and hopefully knocked some of the pollen down, so things were just plain old damp. Rescued one tiny little red eft from the pavement. Always a treat to see 😍 (6.0 miles)


Then it was in to work for a few short hours before coming home around 11:00 as it was the last day of school! Hurray for summer! Anne walked home with Sam and we had Big Top take out in celebration. Then Kristen and I took Anne, Sam and Abby to get ice cream. I neglected to get any photos of them but I did get this one below of Sam and I waiting in the doctor's office for her camp physical. 😂 Why is there so much doctor's office waiting?! Happy end of school, kiddo! So proud of you for handling this wild and crazy year like a champ and doing well and being a good kid! And how is it possible that you are now headed into 7th grade?! WOW! 


Wednesday was another early morning run, this time out on the powerlines. The milkweed is blooming and the blueberries are out and ready to ripen. Definitely looks like summer out on the lines right now! Flushed up one deer who bounded out of the brush only 2 feet in front of me - that was a good startle! (6.0 miles)



Later in the afternoon, Sam and I took a walk on the powerlines. Breezy, bright and warm out, and we found the first two ripe blueberries of the season! Seems really early, but then again, we're going strawberry picking later in the week and that seems early too. Global change is a thing, y'all... scary, but for now, we'll just rejoice in the chance to eat local trailside berries! (1.7 miles walked)


Swamp candle in bloom


Friday was a quick road run around town so that I could get back in time to head to the farmer's market for veggies and biscuits. (8.0 miles)

Then it was off to Fairwinds Farm for strawberry picking! Beautiful morning for it and the berries smelled so good 😋🍓






Later in the afternoon, Sam and I walked up to finally get haircuts after almost a year! Both of us desperately needed it and Sam definitely needed a chop before heading off to camp!

💗

Mom and Dad came over to dinner - Danielle style Cobb salad and strawberry shortcake. Yum! Gotta love the summer menu! Delish 😋



Saturday morning, I was up and out early to meet up with Emma over at Pineland. Great to catch up, although there was also a fair amount of huffing and puffing as it is hard to run up those hills and talk at the same time 😆 Nice and breezy, and a few miles in it started to rain, alternately spitting and pouring. Actually felt pretty good, though, I must say, and it is much better to be wet from rain than from being soaked due to humidity! (10.0 miles)


I had gone back and forth all week as to how to handle this week's running. With our trip to Southwest Harbor coming up, I thought that if I was feeling good, I'd try for another long run on Sunday, just so that I wouldn't have to worry as much about running next week, but honestly when I woke up, I was tired and just like 'meh.' So I didn't force it, and instead headed over to the field house around 7:15 for a run out through the Commons. A bright but very humid morning and I was soaked only a few miles in. Enjoyed the bobolinks chattering out in the Pennelville fields and cut through the edge of Coleman Farm before taking the Landing trail off Rt. 123. 

Decided to take one of the side trails that I had noticed to see where it would take me. A nice meandering singletrack trail with evidence of bikers that dropped me out on an old, overgrown road that dead-ended at the edge of the airport. Looking at the map afterwards, it appears there was a trail across that old road that I missed. I'll have to go back and check it out again to see if I can find it. But regardless, always fun to run a new-to-me trail and do a bit of exploring, even if it didn't get me very far 😉 (8.0 miles)



Stopped to get cold brews and breakfast sandwiches at Little Dog on the way home as a Father's Day treat. Yum! 😋

Later in the afternoon, we headed over to Mom and Dad's for an afternoon walk down to the river. Warm but nice and breezy. (1.9 miles walked)


And then we enjoyed a yummy dinner together. So nice to be able to spend Father's Day together! 💗




Of course, the week wouldn't be complete without some Gigi shenanigans 😹 We got a package this week... Gigi is very happy 😻




No comments: