Sunday, March 8, 2020

In Like a Lion

March decided to live up to the refrain "in like a lion" this year. There has been a whole lot of wind this week.

Tuesday was supposed to be a nice easy run. But the thin veener of ice atop all surfaces made it much more difficult of a run than anticipated and much less restful! Ran out and back on Highland Green Road trying not to slip with every step, which honestly wasn't all that fun. Pretty sunrise though. (6.0 miles)


Then it was off to vote! The candidate I was really hoping would gain some momentum ended up dropping out after a disappointing Super Tuesday, but have no fear, I'll be voting for whichever Democratic candidate ends up on the ballot come November, and feel strongly that at some point this country will wake up and realize a well qualified woman would make a damn fine president!


Thursday, I decided to try out the cart paths based on Ryan's intel from the prior day. The high route on the powerlines was entirely clear and the pavement along Highland Green Road was dry and clear. The cart paths themselves were a mix of gravel/dirt and solid ice. I wore my microspikes for the entirety but I probably only needed them for 60% of the time. Pretty sunrise which I don't have any photos of as I somehow walked out of the house without my phone! Legs felt a bit heavy though. (6.1 miles)

I had gone back and forth on whether I should try to do another big week this week or back off for a down week. In the end, given that my legs hadn't felt great both Tuesday or Thursday, I decided perhaps a more mellow week would be the best option, so even though I got up and ready for an early morning run on Friday, I ended up getting back into bed a short while later for a bit more rest. Sometimes that is just what is needed! So after dropping Sam off, I headed out on the roads for a meander around town. Breezy but sunny and bright. (8.0 miles)

Then it was off to get a massage with Lauren and check things off my to-do list.

Saturday morning, amidst the swirling wind, we set off to Hidden Valley Nature Center for the annual Bad Idea run. Always a fun time, even if conditions are notoriously unpredictable and variable. Just enough to make it a good bad idea 😉 Screwshoes were perfect for the partially clear, partially icy trails. I ran three laps, good enough for around 12 miles, and then enjoyed some yummy soup, snacks and chatting with friends while the rest of the crew finished up. Felt good and enjoyed the trails and sunshine, even with the crazy wind! (12.0 miles)

We headed back to Keri and Tyler's with Liv and Mark after the race to spend the night and hang out. The best part of the weekend! So fun! Sam and Elise had a blast all day long, and Keri cooked us up a delicious dinner which we capped off with brownies topped with ice cream. Yum!

After a full day, we were all in bed early, and despite the time change, I was up early too. Enjoyed a lazy early morning sitting in front of the fire, drinking coffee and watching the sun rise and then around 8:00, Keri and I headed out for a Sunday morning meander on the back roads around their house. Saw a huge bald eagle sitting in a dead tree in one of the open fields and enjoyed the sunshine, views and more miles with Keri. Thankfully the wind had died down a bit too! A good way to finish up a fun weekend! (6.8 miles)




No comments: