Sunday, February 9, 2020

Recovery Week

Tuesday I was feeling good enough that I got up and headed over to Highland Green for a run. Nice, relatively mild morning with bare pavement and I was glad to feel only a bit of overall fatigue versus soreness in my legs. (6.0 miles)

Ryan was out of town overnight, so I decided to just run on the indoor track on Wednesday during Sam's swim team practice. The legs were not so thrilled at all the tight turns, and felt tighter after the run than before. Oh well. Watch once again reading more than 13 laps per mile. (5.8 miles)

Snowed all day on Thursday and there was no need to push it so aside from work and some rolling and stretching, that was about it. A whole lot of freezing rain and ice were predicted on Friday and I woke up to find out that school was cancelled. It didn't seem too bad out there once the sky lightened around 7:00 am so I decided to venture out and see what I would find. Well, turns out it was a wee bit icy. A thick crunchy layer of ice atop 3" of powder atop a layer of ice on the powerlines, and then crunchy, slushy icy-ness on the pavement and mostly runnable icy snow on the backroads. Perhaps not the best morning to be out 😆 as I came home covered in a thin layer of ice myself! (5.0 miles)

Pretty but icy

Ice!

Sam was more than happy to veg on the couch while I ran and then got some cleaning and laundry done around the house before venturing downtown for my massage with Lauren. The main roads were ok but it was either raining or freezing rain or hailing or some combo of them all, which was downright nasty! Still, glad to get my legs loosened up and have a chance to catch up with Lauren before coming home for lunch and a bit of snow, errr ice, day relaxing 😃 The Frozen Yeti sweatpants are downright awesome!!


Sam had one of her neighborhood friend's over for some afternoon play and then was invited out to join Anne and family for hibachi dinner and a sleepover, so she was more than happy with how the snow day turned out! I was impressed Kristen and Phil were up for getting out and driving around in the mess, as Ryan and I were in no way going to venture out into the icy darkness and instead chose to stay home, cook up our already planned dinner and watch Brittany Runs A Marathon. Alternately dark and embarrassing at times but well-done. I enjoyed it.

As I didn't have to rush out to get my run done before Ryan left for snowshoe marking on Saturday morning, I waited until the sun had fully risen. It was bright and beautiful out, the ice-laden trees sparkling in the sunlight, and so icy that I put my Hillsounds on at the mat and ran right out the door with them! Actually they were perfect, both for the thick layer of ice atop the powder on the powerlines and out in the Cathance and for the sidewalks and pavement that were covered with a light dusting of snow atop solid ice. A bit treacherous and slow-going out there, but oh so beautiful!






Even though Ryan would prefer it pass without a mention, Saturday was his birthday so Sam and I picked up a few Wild Oats treats on our way home from Anne's house so we'd have something to put a candle in and sing happy birthday over, and then after a lazy afternoon relaxing on the couch, went out to celebrate with dinner at Buffalo WildWings. Yes, seriously 😂 It was Sam's idea - she has really loved going there with Ryan a few times and since I have never ever been there, she wanted me to join them at some point, which meant last night was the night. Ha! And of course, nothing says happy birthday like wings, rings, french fries and beer 😆😉 Cheers! 🍻

Woke up this morning to the thermometer reading -6 degrees, said no way 😳 and went back to bed instead. Brrr! Spent the morning over at Brad manning the soup at the snowshoe race. Despite being rather chilly to start, it was a truly beautiful day - bright and sunny with the ice-covered trees shimmering up high in the sunlight. As always, enjoyed having the chance to talk with friends. We really are lucky! Of course, then it was off to Maine Beer for a late lunch so it was yet another afternoon run after the snowshoe race and pizza. Maybe for the 3rd race I'll actually get up and out in the morning before Ryan has to take off for the park 😉😆 

Thinking the bike path would be cleared and would afford me some mellow, mindless miles, I headed over there only to find at least half of it covered in ice, which required a fair amount of caution and attention. Ah well. Still, bright and sunny and felt felt good despite the late hour and the belly full of pizza, so I'll take it. All told, a nice way to wrap up a recovery week. (6.0 miles)

No comments: