Sunday, August 27, 2006

On the AT - NH25A to Rt. 25, Glencliff, NH


August 27, 2006 | Miles: 9.8
Start: Rt. 25A
End: Rt. 25, Glencliff
Danielle:
Cloudy for the first hour; rainy and cool for the rest of the hike.
A soggy, cold walk in the woods today. We started out at 9:30am again today to cloudy, windy skies. It didn't start raining until about an hour into the hike, and then it continued the rest of the way, turning the overgrown trail into a carwash! The hike today was just sort of a rolling walk through the forest, without any views and without too much to talk about specifically. With the rain and the cool weather, there wasn't much reason to stop along the way, so we just chugged along, taking 4 hours from road to road. Luckily the terrain was pretty mellow and the treadway was relatively smooth, which helped. Ryan hung in there really well, despite being tired from two good days of hiking. Saw 3 orange salamanders and 5 toads, but not much else.

Ryan:
Rain
Hiking in the rain isn't a lot of fun. But, I'm complained enough already today, so I'm not going to complain here. I finally stopped complaining once I realized that I was hiking. A month ago, I couldn't have done what we did this weekend. I certainly couldn't have done it 6 months ago. So, I really can't complain. Although, I'm tired and sore...and way out of shape. We did manage to hike the almost 10 miles today in about 4 hours, so that's encouraging. So, more exercises and a little running this week to keep up the healing. I had a little grouchiness in my right knee near the end of the hike, but I was able to stretch my legs and the pain dissipated. That was very encouraging. As far as the hike goes, it was an unexciting section and if we had to do a section of NH in the rain, then this was the section to do. It's back to work tomorrow and back on the AT again soon. Maybe even an overnight in our near future.

No comments: