Friday, February 11, 2005

Snowman Sounds Off


So, I thought it was time for me to chime in because I'm also going along on this whole AT thing. Since we're going to try to write something everyday, I figured I could get at least one journal entry done before we started...you know, for practice.

First of all, I need to give a ton of...maybe more...credit to Danielle, as she has done an incredible job of planning, scheduling and scheming. No surprise to any of you. She has been truly spectacular through this whole process. I never ceased to be amazed by her drive, determination and focus. But most importantly, when she's planning...she's quiet. The financially scheming to make this work...all Danielle. I would have just checked the ATM every so often to see how much was left. The entire mail drop schedule was her doing. All I did was look at it, grunt and burp. (I'm really good at that.) Without her, I would be wandering aimlessly through the forest wondering why I had nothing to eat but dry mac & cheese. Not a pretty sight.

And it is because of Danielle, that I think we might actually to be able to pull this off. Because, the AT isn't easy. In fact, it's a long frickin' way!

20%. Twenty percent of people that set out from Springer Mountain with Katahdin as their goal make it. That's it. 1 out of 5. Or, in our case, 2 out of 10. That's not a lot. Of course, a fair number of those that leave the trail do so because they never really belonged there in the first place.

"I didn't know I would have to be outside in the rain."
"I'm dirty and I smell bad."
"Why is it so hilly?"

Things like that. Quite honestly, I'm really looking forward to watching the people who have never camped before. That will be fun for the first week...maybe it will take my mind off how sore I am.

Luckily, we have camped before, and we like being outside...even in the rain. (No, really, if you're smart it's not that bad. The forest has a great smell during the rain. Plus, I like playing in the mud.)

We certainly have an advantage because we plan to take it step by step together. Or, at least, me dragging a few yards behind. She has pulled me to the top of many a mountain. That little body can really churn out the miles. When she chirps "I'm tough, gawddammit!" like a five year-old trying to open a jar of grape jelly, look out! I have no doubt that we will have the teamwork and the drive to make it through. And, barring injury, our Christmas card will feature a grimy but jubilant pair with a sign that reads: "Katahdin: Northern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail." We're hopeful we can be among the 20%.

Then again, to look at us, we're seem pretty young and fit. (Well, at least Danielle. I know I've gotten a little soft around the middle.) But, we're not without our ailments: irritable bowel syndrome, patella femoral syndrome, Morton's nueroma, iliotibial band tightness, weak ankles, allergies, asthma, elbow tendonitis, trapezius strain, even a bout with Melanoma...just to name a few. So, if we can avoid any further reoccurrences of these little nasties and dodge any further injuries, it should be no problem. Besides, what's the likelihood of an overuse injury from carrying a 35+ pound backpack day after day after day?

Uh, Mom, you weren't supposed to read that last bit.

Most of all, I think our biggest advantage is teamwork. We're not privy to the inner workings of other married couples, but I think we're a little different. First and foremost, we're best friends. We truly enjoy spending all our time together. Really. I don't see this from all married couples. Do you? Secondly, we share the load. She's good at some things, and I'm good at some things. When it's time, we know who is the right person for the task. (That's why I'm carrying the map and compass.) No ego. There's no room for ego in a backpack. Finally, we're good at backpacking. We work well together. For example, I set up and light the stove, while she measures out the water and ingredients. Dinner in half the time. Nobody sits around and picks dirt out from under their fingernails. Plus, fingernail dirt makes a good spice. Mmmm...ramen with fingernail grit.

But most importantly, on this little journey we want to have fun. We have no jobs and we're going to walk for 6 months. That's pretty cool. Not everyone's idea of fun, but we're a little off. We admit that.

So, we only have a couple weeks to go. All that's left is to pack up all our stuff and put it in storage. If our marriage can survive that, the AT should be no problem.

No comments: