Sunday, October 23, 2022

No Business Photos & Post-Race Recovery

So fun to see race photos from No Business! Here are a few taken by the talented Misty Wong, with the pre-race bib photo taken by Nichole Newport

Pre-race

Bridge at mile 4

Twin Arches

Duncan Hollow

Finish line smile

Finish line relief

And the buckle! I love how you can tell how proud Ryan is of me πŸ’—Thanks, my love!

And now, onto the post-race recovery...

I had taken Tuesday off from work but ended up having to go in for several hours in the morning due to some reporting that had gone awry. I was flat out exhausted and my feet were still swollen and hurting, but with a bandaid on my pinkie toe, and in my most comfortable shoes, I was able to walk around almost normally. Honestly, my legs didn’t feel badly overall at all, it was just my feet that were just plain, well, ouch! After getting some work done, I hit the farmer's market, grocery store, Target and the feed store for birdseed and cat food. Gotta make sure there's food for everyone πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŠThen I came home to sit on the couch for the rest of the day and work on my race report! 

Woke up on Wednesday to a note from Ryan that he had a weird cough and had taken a Covid test just to be sure. Negative. I also had a bit of a cough and sniffles, which isn't super surprising, as let's be honest, I had just subjected my body to being up on my feet for 29 hours Fri/Sat, plus all the travel, and I knew it was highly likely I might pick up something in my inevitably rundown state, even though I was being as careful as possible with an inordinate amount of sanitizer and wearing my mask while traveling. Still, I had planned to test Wednesday anyway, so I did. Negative. 

Went into work for the day and came home to Ryan feeling worse, so told him to stay on the couch for the night and I took Sam to 6:00 pm swim. I figured since I was there, I'd get in a short walk on the track. Wore my Brooks, as they have the widest toe boxes, and walked a rather slow 14 laps around the track.  Legs felt fine, but my feet still felt tender and I was still tired, so that was enough. (1.1 miles walked)

Thursday, another negative test, but still coughing and tired overall. My feet still looked bad due to all the scabs from the irritated areas but they were no longer swollen, I didn't have to wear a bandaid on my pinkie toe and I wasn't thinking about them all day. 

Another negative test Friday morning before going into work until noon and then getting some errands done. It was so nice out, I decided to take a short walk on the Gone Fishing trails around the ponds after dropping off the recycling. My feet and legs felt fine, so I was able to walk a bit more quickly, but trying to balance the desire to move and be outside with my body still needing to rest and recover too, so didn't go far. (1.25 miles walked)

Repping the new NB100 gear 


Then it was home for the 7th/8th grade dance! Lily walked home with Sam after school so they could get ready and go to the dance together. Aren't they are so cute 😍 - and so grown up?!



πŸ’•

Another negative test on Saturday morning and feeling better, so the cough and sniffles this week definitely appear to be your general garden variety low-grade yuck, but still annoying!! Ryan headed down to Mass for a ceremony at St. John's Prep honoring the 1992 xc team for their induction to the athletic hall of fame, and Sam and I had a mellow morning at home with me finally catching up on some cleaning and bills before I headed out for a walk later in the morning. Sam did not wish to join me, so I left her to relax at home. It was beautiful out so I decided to drive over to the Cathance so I could walk down and check out the river after all of last week's rain. It certainly was roaring! And lots of foam along the edges of the river banks. The woods smelled wonderful, like evergreens and fallen leaves. Lovely to get out for a short jaunt. (1.1 miles walked)




Sam spent the evening with Anne and Abby while the Ryan and I did nothing but sit on the couch once he got home from MA. I think she had the more exciting evening πŸ˜‚


Sunday was the end of the season Trail Monster run and get-together and although we were really sad to miss out, it didn't seem the wisest idea for either of us in terms of getting over this yuck even if we were still testing negative for Covid, so we stayed home and relaxed instead. Although I did drag Ryan out for a walk on the powerlines in the late morning once the morning fog cleared. Still some pretty late fall colors out there, and definitely warmed up once the skies started to brighten. (2.0 miles walked)



So all told, I'd give the recovery week #1 a B-. Feet are healing up nicely, legs feel decent, and it's felt good to be out walking, but this cold/germy yuck is a real drag! I guess it's giving me an extra reason to take it easy, but I really hope I can kick it sooner rather than later - being sick is never fun!!



No comments: