Thursday, April 26, 2018

Back to Reality

Back to work and school this week, with the added bonus of swim and XC starting up as well. Needless to say, it's been a very busy week as we return to reality after vacation!

Monday, I got up a little later than I had hoped, but still had time to get out for a run on the cart paths. A beautiful, crisp morning with a gorgeous glowing light on the horizon for the majority of the run and no headlamp needed! (6.0 miles)


Monday was Sam's first XC practice. There are a lot of kids (35+!) running this season, and it was nice to have a warm, sunny night for practice! I ran a short loop with the half milers, and had my hands full trying to keep the girls in the back of the pack on task ;) Ha! (0.8 miles)

Tuesday was an off day and then I was back out the door on Wednesday morning for a run out into the Cathance. The sky was quite overcast at 5:15 am, so I wore my small headlamp for the first few miles for some extra light. The trails have dried up a lot even since we were out there on Sunday but the river is still roaring. Felt good and happy to have gotten in some good morning miles. (7.0 miles)


The rain started later in the day on Wednesday and didn't let up until around lunchtime. I had laid out clothes in case I felt ultra motivated to get up and run hills in the rain, but let's face facts and acknowledge that the chance of that happening was pretty slim ;) So, instead, I waited for the rain to stop and instead headed across the street for hills late in the afternoon after work and before XC practice.

I'm getting a little nervous about Laurel (only 6 weeks away!!!!), as although I feel like I've put in a lot of good miles this winter and feel pretty strong overall, I know I haven't been hitting the hills as much as I should for a 70 mile race with something like 12,000 feet of elevation gain. There's still some time to get the work in though, thankfully, hence, the Mt. A. hill workout on tap for today. Afternoon runs have never been my strong suit, and with it being Thursday after a busy week back to work after vacation, I was feeling a bit tired, but I did my best to keep pushing steady on the ups and run the downs hard. Got in 5x each on Suicide and Chicken hills and pretty happy to have the overall average pace of the run be at 8:29. Suicide is a short steep little bugger; there most certainly was a lot of heavy breathing going on each time I got to the top! (6.2 miles)

A quick change and a snack at home and then off to pick up Sam for XC. Ran at the back of the pack with the younger half milers, which was just what I needed for a "cool down" to finish up the day ;) (0.7 miles) A beautiful afternoon to be out running!

Looking forward to tomorrow's long run at the Brad! I am sure with all this rain that it is also going to be a muddy one!

No comments: