Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Snowy!

Somehow the week has flown by again, and I know we had some weird weather and it was busy but I really need to take better notes apparently 😂 Kendra and Michael joined Ryan out in CO over the weekend for some skiing fun on Sunday and Monday together after Ryan's conference and client work was done, and it looks like they had a blast!


Monday was a busy work day with all.the.meetings and then Y and high school swim practice for Sam, with no walking or running for me.

On Tuesday, I had an in-person board meeting at 5:00 so after I got a little work done on the computer in the early morning hours and then after I dropped Sam at school, I came home and suited up to go out for a run before heading into the office. I headed out on the roads with my spikes in my pocket and then did a small loop in the Cathance. Trails had been reasonably packed by people out over the weekend and the ice along the river's edge was neat looking. Plus, it wasn’t freezing out and and there no wind - hurray! Nice to get out in the woods for a few miles. (6.0 miles)







Mom and Dad nicely took Sam to the Y for swim practice and then home to their house for dinner - thank you! - and put together a to-go dinner for me when I finally arrived around 6:40 pm. We headed home for Sam to quickly get her homework done and then were off to Bowdoin 45 minutes later for high school practice. Ryan got home around 8:00 so he picked her up from practice and I had a chance to shower and get a few things done around the house before heading to bed. 

Snow fell on Wednesday and it was a messy, sloppy, snowy out and back on Highland Green Road in the afternoon for me. (6.0 miles)

Then, the snow changed to rain overnight, and we awoke to a 2 hour delay and everything covered with a thick layer of ice. 


But temps warmed up significantly during the day and by the time we got up to the Y and I headed out for a walk around 3:00, the morning's ice was almost entirely melted and the majority of the sidewalks were clear. (2.0 miles walked)

More snow on Friday morning and an early dismissal due to weather. Got a few errrands done between dropping Sam off and then turning around and picking her up at 11:00, and then finally headed out to run a little after 1:00, at which point the snow had turned to a misty rain. Kinda gross out. Things were slushy wet snow underfoot but it was pretty along the river even if slow going. Spikes on and off all run. (6.2 miles)






Due to early dismissal, Sam's high school swim meet was cancelled so she went to practice up at the Y at 3:00 instead and then we had a quiet evening at home. 

On Saturday, I got up and went to the farmer's market and did some meal prep for the week and got pretzel dough going while Sam slept until 11:00 am! Oh to be a teenager!! 


Ryan had gone out running while we were working on the pretzels and had gone over to run in the Cathance. With his intel and my run still to complete, I headed out around 1:45 pm and decided to do the full loop out in the Cathance, running roads to get there and donning my spikes at the trailhead. Variable, a bit squishy, mushy, sloppy and mostly slow going but fun. Plus a lovely warm afternoon and running along the river in winter with all the ice is always beautiful. Actually felt decent-hurray! Maybe I’m turning the corner after Covid? I can hope! (8.0 miles)








Sunday morning, I was on deck to volunteer over at Bradbury for runner registration at the TMR snowshoe-turned-spike race. It is always fun to have a chance to catch up with people and give back a little bit of time to a group that has meant so much to us! After my volunteer shift was over and the race had started, I said my goodbyes and then headed over to Pennelville, warming up in the car on the way 😂 It wasn't a super chilly morning but standing around on the snow for 2+ hours means cold feet! A little creaky after but got it done. Overcast and damp. Miles 7-8.4 were on muddy, sloppy dirt road, maybe not the best route choice ðŸĪŠ, but always nice to get out to the ocean at Simpson's Point. (9.0 miles)


We wrapped up the weekend with Mom and Dad joining us for dinner, and then poof, it was time to get ready for another week!


No comments: