Sunday, January 7, 2024

Happy New Year?? 😷😷

Well, we started the new year off with a bang.... been a bit of a rough week here, to say the least...

With Sam at Lauren's and Ryan still sleeping, I headed out first thing on Monday morning, January 1st, to get some errands done, and then headed over to Brad to meet up with Val and Anne for a run. It was fun to ring in the new year with a run with friends and, as always, so good to catch up! We ran the east side, as the lot was pretty full when we arrived at 10:30, with lots of people apparently taking advantage of the holiday and the decent weather to get out and walk their dogs and take the kids on a hike and/or to the playground. We only saw one other person on the east side. A bit of tiptoeing here and there due to ice, but trails were in reasonably good shape, although it was weird to be running on bare ground on January 1! No pictures because we were too busy chatting πŸ˜‚(6.0 miles)

Sam arrived just around when I got home after a fun overnight in Old Orchard Beach with Lauren and Rohan, and as Ryan was not feeling great when I got home, so I told him he should take a Covid test, just in case. He was mumbling about it being a worthless idea, it was just a cold, and them boom, yup, he tested positive for Covid! πŸ˜·πŸ˜¨πŸ˜©πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜–πŸ˜•After almost four years of avoiding it, somehow he managed to get it. AIE! So it was right upstairs into the loft for him, and masks on for all of us, keeping ourselves as separated as we could, with bedroom doors closed and me moving myself to sleep downstairs on the couch. Sigh. Sam and I tested after Ryan did, and we were negative. And so the paranoia and waiting and worrying began...

Just to be safe, I decided I would work remotely for the week so as not to potentially infect my coworkers, and just be masked all day long. Oh the joys. Sam and I tested Tuesday morning, and were negative again, so she went to school, her orthodontist appointment and practice as usual. Due to the ortho appointment, it was late swim for the day, so I hit the track for a walk. The Y was definitely crowded, guess it’s a new year! (2.0 miles walked)

Still negative Wednesday for Sam and I, and Ryan was feeling a bit better, but work is super busy right now with end of the month, quarter, and year stuff, I was feeling stressed, and I just did not have the energy or bandwidth to run. Thankfully Sam only has Y practice this week as the Bowdoin pool is closed, which is good as I think double practices might have put me over the edge... 😜😜

Got out Thursday morning after dropping Sam at school and ran down to the river and back. Overcast morning with spitting snow. Still stressed but still testing negative, and glad to get out. (6.0 miles)




Ryan was finally freed from isolation on Friday and was feeling markedly better. Hurray! On our side, Sam and I were still testing negative, but I had started feeling a bit of a scratchy throat later on Thursday, and was keeping my fingers crossed that it was from sleeping pretty much right in front of the heater all week and did not mean that I was getting sick... 

Got out for a run on the powerlines after dropping Sam at school. Cold, bright and ankle-busting. (8.0 miles)

After lunch, I headed out to get a few errands checked off the to-do list, picked up Sam from school and then we headed to Bowdoin for her Mt. A swim meet. Ryan and I both wore our masks. It was good to see my parents even if just for a bit, and Sam swam solidly. One of the swim parents behind us said, "That Samantha is a pretty good little swimmer," to which the other responded, "Little being the operative word." Indeed! πŸ˜‚When I told Ryan and Sam later, they both got a kick out of it. She does look quite small next to the rest of the team, but part of it is just her build and part of it is that she is a freshman and almost everyone else on the team is a junior or senior. Though she be but little, she is fierce! 😍


Unfortunately, that scratchy throat turned more into a cough and some sniffles later in the evening, and yup, you guessed it, on Saturday morning when I woke up, my Covid test was positive. πŸ˜¨πŸ˜©πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜–πŸ˜• Can we just say, DAMN!?!? Nothing more to say than this just really sucks. So with that, I traded places with Ryan and moved myself up into the loft to isolate. Sam tested negative, so finger crossed!



I have never been a good person to just sit around so honestly, this isolation thing is just no fun. It drives me nuts to not be able to do anything. Especially since I don't particularly feel that sick. The scratchy throat went away by mid-morning on Saturday, with just some sniffles and a bit of a cough remaining. But I sit up here still... sigh. What a way to kick off the new year!





No comments: