Sunday, January 21, 2024

Mid-January

This has already felt like a very long month, even though we are only partway through! Aie.

Monday was a holiday day from school and work, although I did end up working the majority of the morning to play some catch up, as there are a lot of deadlines this month. Finally headed out for a run around 1:00. I decided I would run the cart paths, and although there was a fair amount of tiptoeing around the ice flows that had developed everywhere after all the rain and snowmelt, it was still nice to be on trails. Bright and breezy out. (6.0 miles)

Right before dinner, Ryan headed south to Boston as his flight out in the morning was early, and then later I took Sam to Mt. A swim practice. 

Snow was forecast for Tuesday and all schools ended up having an early release, but Sam already had a planned half day, as it was midterm week and the schedule was set so that there were two exam periods every morning and then early release at 11:00 (12:00 on Wednesday), with afternoons reserved for make-up work. I totally get that it was a good schedule for the kids, but honestly, kind of a pain, as it meant my mornings at work were a big rush to get things done in the three hours I was in the office before heading home. Yes, I know she could have walked home but with the snow on Tuesday and then variable sidewalk conditions and cold weather the rest of the week, picking her up seemed the best option. 

Neither of us were sad when both school and Y practice was cancelled on Tuesday as the snow started to fall more heavily mid-afternoon, and then my 5:00 meeting was cancelled too. Hurray. It meant a slightly more leisurely start to the week and for that I was grateful!

With the snow, I ended up not running on Wednesday morning before sunrise, and then the rest of the day was just  a mess of meetings that didn't give me enough time for anything more than a short walk around the school block around 2:40 before my 4:00 meeting. Mom nicely took Sam to Y swim, and then the two of us headed to Bowdoin later for school swim. (1.74 miles walked)

Thursday, I ended up running during swim practice. The edge of the roads were fine but when I had to be on the sidewalk, things were a bit sketchy. Ran out to take in the view along the Whiskeag. Did a short loop in the cemetary on the way back but it wasn't plowed, so not ideal (6.0 miles) 



We skipped Mt. A practice later in the evening. Sam was exhausted. Adjusting to the pressures of midterms and doing all.the.swimming is a lot, so we ordered pad thai takeout for dinner and went to bed early instead.💗

Had a work training in the morning and then ran around to get the errands completed, so didn't get out for a run until right before 3:00 on Friday. Ran Highland Green and couldn't resist looping down to check out the river. There had been some traffic but definitely not packed and would have been better if I was wearing spikes. Still, always pretty. (6.0 miles)




Then after dinner, it was back to Bowdoin for Mt. A practice, after which the team went into town to get gelato together. I do so love their comraderie. 💗

Sam was pretty wiped, and I had to wake her up at 10:00 when I got back from my run on Saturday morning! Only in the single digits when I headed out at 8:30 am and I wore double layers on my legs and had my hood up. Brrr. Looped around Highland Green once again with another run down to the river. Frozen ice pancakes in the eddy area this morning. (7.0 miles)


Then at noon, it was up to the Y to drop Sam off for her swim meet. She swam great, despite maybe being slightly cranky initially 😉😂 And later, while we ate dinner, we watched the Barbie movie, and I might be late to the party but I really did think it was well done and a great mix of funny, sarcastic, inspirational and all too true. 



Sunday was another chilly morning and I wasn't quite feeling inspired to bundle up and head right out, so instead I sat on the couch with my book and read until Sam woke up, at which point I cleaned the house which was desperately needed, and then had an early lunch. Once Sam headed out to get her nails done with Lauren and Rohan, I headed out for my run around noon. Bright and sunshiney but a cold wind, and I did not quite have the umph I was hoping for. Ah well. January has been a bit of a bust on the running front, I guess getting Covid will do that... It's been 2 1/2 months of chill running since Rim to River, so next week the plan is to crank it back up at least a little bit and get in some short double digit runs. Wish I had been able to do that at the start of the month like I had intended, but oh well. In any event, with trail conditions less than ideal around here, I stuck to the roads and did a wander around Highland Green and Topsham Crossing to wrap up the running week. (7.0 miles)

Meanwhile, out in CO, Ryan was busy with work but also making time for some skiing and having fun out on the snow!



And Gigi was perhaps not quite enjoying the attention from Samantha 😹😹 Look at those eyes!



No comments: