Monday, January 15, 2024

Snow, Rain and Isolation

Let's face it, the start of the week, spent in the remaining few days of isolation, pretty much sucked. Although, thankfully, I did not feel badly.

I finished watching Ted Lasso. Moved on to Lessons in Chemistry.

Work has been crazy busy with end of the month, quarter and year stuff, not to mention a whole lot of January deadlines for grant reports, etc, and on Monday, I had five Zoom meetings. But, with nothing else to do, I at least got a lot of work done...

I missed getting out to enjoy the snow that fell on Sunday.

I missed Sam's winter chorus concert on Tuesday night.

Sigh.

But grateful that Ryan was able to take videos of the songs Sam sang during the concert and that Mom took some photos for me.


Finally, on Wednesday I was able to leave the loft. Hurray! And Sam continued to test negative, so we'll give thanks for small miracles.

Of course, Wednesday was a sh*tshow in terms of weather. Crazy winds. Rain melting away all the snow. Serious flooding. Not sure who can believe global warming and climate change is not a real thing anymore... Rains finally stopped mid-afternoon and I decided to get out for a slow walk around the school block to get some fresh air. Nice to get out of the house! Felt OK, mostly just a bit sniffly. (1.7 miles walked)

Thursday, I went back to the office. Masked, of course. It was a busy day and I ran out of time and energy to do anything active. 

Friday, I was feeling mostly decent, and decided I would get in a run. Had to go into the office for a short bit in the morning and then headed over to Pennelville. A nice, bright, sunny morning and even though I was a bit creaky and tired, and was blowing a whole lot of snot rockets ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, it was great to be out in the sunshine and get down to the ocean. (6.0 miles)


While I was out at the ocean, Ryan was skiing up at Black Mountain and enjoying the snow up there.


Then after some errands and getting dinner ready, it was off to Bowdoin for Sam's Mt. A swim meet. It has been a lot of fun this season watching her swim and improve her times and strength, and enjoy contributing to the team and having that comeraderie๐Ÿ’— She swam well with PRs in both the 500 and 200 free and solid relay times.






Saturday was another crappy weather day with more rain and flooding. Sam had a LRSC swim meet so after a quiet morning and a quick trip to the farmer's market, I took her up to the Y to catch the bus. Then it was home to get a few things done around the house before I finally headed out for a run around 2:30 once the rain stopped. By then, temps had climbed up into the high 40s and I was totally overdressed ๐Ÿ˜…even with the wind. Ran out and back on Highland Green Road. Didn't feel great, but then again, this weather is less than inspiring. Still, hoping I can salvage this crappy start to the running year by getting back to some consistency after this Covid interruption so out I went anyway. (6.0 miles)

Sunday was bright and sunny, but very windy. I headed out around 10:30 for a run on the powerlines. This was not the wisest choice - so much ice and so many semi frozen puddles ๐Ÿ˜‚ - but I didn’t want to deal with a windy road run ๐Ÿซฃ๐Ÿคช Felt meh ๐Ÿคท‍♀️(8.0 miles)

While this Covid thing has been incredibly annoying and certainly interruptive, I am grateful that neither of us got truly truly sick. And even better is that Sam managed to avoid it. Still, I would be even more grateful to be able to get back into a normal swing of things. Between the holidays and Covid, it seems like things have been slightly chaotic for a while now! ๐Ÿ˜œ

Gigi checking out my new shoes - the Pegasus Trail 4 - haven't worn them yet but looking forward to trying them out!


And Ronnie is most pleased with the new catnip banana ๐Ÿ˜น๐Ÿ˜น


















No comments: