Monday, November 22, 2021

Recovery

Continued recovery this week. It is hard to rest when you would much prefer to be in motion, but I am trying to honor the fact that I ran a 100 miles and that my body is going to take a while to come back around to feeling 100% again.

Monday evening, I walked on the indoor track while Sam had swim practice. Right foot was quite tender. (2.1 miles walked)

Work and weather and an attempt at resting meant I took Tuesday and Wednesday off, but I know that is probably not a terrible thing. I did do a fair amount of stretching and rolling to loosen my legs and feet up. 

I decided to give running a try on Thursday. I had waited 10 days, which is pretty good, I think! Dropped Sam at school and then headed across the street at 8:00 am. Warm and damp out. Legs felt a bit clunky, but I wouldn't have expected anything else! (4.0 miles)


Friday, I headed out once again after dropped Sam at school. Nice, bright morning! Ran a mix of a few cart paths, roads and powerlines for a good loop. Body is definitely still tired. (5.1 miles)


Then it was off to get our booster shots before spending the rest of the day running errands and getting things crossed off my to do list. Yay science! 

The combination of recovery and the booster definitely had me feeling tired, as I slept in until 7:00 on Saturday! Sam had her first swim meet of the season up in Boothbay, so I got her on the bus, did a few things on the way home, and then settled in to make pies for our Raymond family Thanksgiving on Sunday and to watch the livestream of the swim meet. 

Sam did a great job swimming, and the pies ended up looking pretty delish! 😋


Ryan and I did sneak in a walk around the school block between Sam's first and second event of the meet, and it was good to get out and get a bit of mellow movement for the day. (1.7 miles walked)

Sunday morning was the annual Trail Monster Til We Meet in Hell run and end the season get together. This year, we were running at Bradbury, so there were definitely some hills involved! We gathered at the group lean-to off the lower lot, went up South Ridge, over the summit, down Terrace and back through the parking lot and past the playground for a 1.6 mile loop. I got caught up in the beginning trying to run and talk with Emily but that didn't last long 😂 and then I settled in hiking with John and Joey for a while, before doing a bit of running on my own and then joining up with Manuela for some miles, which was fun! As the loops went on, I was passed by a lot of the faster runners and passed some of those who were walking, so it was a good chance to at least be able to say hello to everyone! I was most definitely not pushing and there was a lot of hiking involved, but overall, I felt decent. (6.3 miles)

After the run, it was great to hang out, eat Thanksgiving burritos from Guthrie's and chat and catch up with everyone. We are so lucky to be part of such a great group of runners and friends! 

Then it was back home to quickly shower and change before we headed to Theresa's for Thanksgiving #1! All of us were tired, but we had a good time eating and laughing and chatting and then eating some more. After a quiet holiday season last year, it is definitely so nice to be able to spend time with family this year. 💗

No comments: