Friday, November 5, 2021

End of the Taper

The final week of the taper before a race is always a weird time. You feel off. Runs are short. You wonder and wander over every niggle. You wonder and wander over race plans, race gear, the weather. Or maybe that's just me! But regardless, gah! Let's just get on with it already 😂😐😉

Monday, I headed out for a walk during Sam's swim practice. Too nice to sit inside. Beautifully bright and sunny, but cool, especially in the shade. (1.88 miles walked)


Wasn't really feeling getting up and out into the early morning darkness on Tuesday, nor was I really feeling the mid-afternoon run, but I did it anyway. Ran down to the river and back. Trails are drying out but the river is still roaring. (5.0 miles)


Wednesday dawned in the mid-30s and there was a thin layer of frost on the ground when I headed out as the sky was lightening a little after 6:45 am. Didn't need the headlamp for long. Short on time and it's taper time anyway, so just looped around the old "suck loop" up Canam, through Highland Green and back on the powerlines. Quite lovely on the final hill crest on the powerlines. Less than 30 minutes run, I was hardly even warmed up!! 😂😉 (3.0 miles)


Yesterday, Mom and Dad took Sam to swim and Ryan and I wandered around the house starting to pull together all our gear and clothing, and I worked on checking things off my checklist. Somehow I have a lot of stuff to bring! How much of it will get used remains the question though 😁😂😉 And Gigi apparently wants to come too! 😹



This morning, after dropping Sam off at school, I headed across the street for one final shakeout before the race. Bright and sunny, frosty and chilly. Pretty with the frost covered grasses and the ice-skimmed puddles. Felt decent, but as always before a race, I'm anxious. I hope I've done enough, that the legs will work and the niggles won't flare up, and in this scenario hat the head and waistlights last all 14 hours of darkness and that I don't freeze! Looking like tomorrow is going to be similar to last night/today. Brrr, it's going to be a long cold night out there tomorrow, I think! (3.3 miles)





The rest of the day was spent crossing things off the list and getting organized. Then when Sam got home, we headed to Hannaford for Sam to get Covid shot #2! Hurray! A 100% vaccinated household. I am one happy mama!

Balloons didn't fall from the sky in celebration, and she looks less than thrilled, but I am ecstatic!

Then we headed over to Mom and Dad's for dinner and to celebrate Dad's birthday! Happy Birthday, Dad! We love you and so happy to be able to celebrate together! Instead of cake, he wanted pumpkin pie. Yum 😋

💗

Sam stayed the night since we were planning to leave at 5:00 am to head to the race, so after dinner, Ryan and I headed home to finish up a bit of packing and then it was early to bed, since it was mostly definitely going to be early to rise! Now nothing to do but run!



No comments: