Sunday, November 14, 2021

Hamsterwheel Aftermath


A few more random Hamsterwheel notes:

I did not sit, not once, not even in the port-a-potty, or perhaps I should say definitely not in the port-a-potty!  

I did not change shoes or socks.

I had no blisters and only minor chafing. Squirrel Nut Butter works wonders for me and the only real chafing was under my arm where the short sleeve shirt had gotten caught up due to layering. 

I ate 24 gels (~2400 calories)

I drank 4 packets of Gu Roctane (caffeinated lemon berry and summit tea flavors for the win) (~1000 calories)

I drank 1/2 a packet of Gu Chocolate Recovery drink (mixed with water) at mile 48, just to get in some protein. (~100 calories)

Real food eaten: Two oatmeal dark chocolate chip raisin cookies; two snack baggies of Bugles; 1/2 a snack baggies of cape cod chips; 1/2 a snack baggies of Ritz cracker crisps; Two small pieces of cheese pizza; one bite of grilled cheese sandwich; probably 10 cups of chicken broth; maybe a 1/4 of a bottle of Coca Cola (who knows how many calories, maybe 1500?!)

I think I kinda ate a lot!! This might have been the most successful I have been with a constant influx of food over 100 miles, although I realize this round ended 5-7 hours earlier than any of my other 100s.

Despite having to poop multiple times, mostly in the 2nd half of the race, really, my stomach felt solid. But there was a lot of Desitin use, I will say that. (sorry, TMI)

I did take ibuprofen twice. If you do not agree with this as a choice, I understand, but for me, it is worth it. I am very conscious to ensure I have eaten and am drinking well when I take the ibuprofen. 

I also took 2 BCAA capsules every 20 miles. 

Found the spot on the timing site where you could see your lap splits. So, obviously, I slowed, but I'd say not bad, all things considered!



We were all exhausted Sunday night and everyone was in bed early. I was sure I'd be thrashing around all night not sleeping, but while there was definitely some of that, I think I actually managed to sleep some too. Of course, I could barely get up the stairs to get into bed, so there's that... 

Had to get up Monday morning to get Sam up and take her to school, but was thrilled to discover I could actually make it downstairs without having to go backwards 😂😂 Legs were most definitely tight and feet were quite tender, but overall, no real swelling, so at least on a superficial level, I'd say I made out pretty well! We'll see how it goes over the next few days. Of course, I was still feeling really tired, but that is to be expected. 

Took the day off from work, minus some time spent answering emails and one 1-hour call, and did do a bit of laundry, got the clothes from my race bag put away and emptied the dishwasher, but I would mostly call the day pretty chill with a lot of time spent on the couch relaxing. Ryan and I did get out for a walk in the late morning, going very slowly around the school block. It was nice to get out in the sunshine and move the legs a bit. (1.7 miles walked)

Mom and Dad nicely took Sam to swim, and then we all enjoyed thai food for dinner. I had wanted to order out on Sunday night, but they were closed, and honestly, I likely wouldn't have enjoyed it as much, so it probably worked out for the best. Recovery noodles are the best! YUM 😋

Tuesday and Wednesday, I went into the office. I probably would have benefited from taking Tuesday off, but as Thursday is a holiday and the office was going to be closed, I had decided I could handle two days in the office. I was tired. But it was glorious out and temps got up into the 60s, so Ryan and I took a walk around the school block when I got home. Legs and feet much less tight and tender. (1.7 miles walked)

Wednesday I did nothing, although I did stretch and roll and do some of my activation exercises just to get some blood flow going. And so it was that by Thursday, I was getting antsy. It was a holiday for Sam and I, and frankly, I am just not good at relaxing. 😜😂 But I had decided before the race that I would take a full 10-14 days off from running, as a self-imposed rest and reset. I know it is good to have some planned rest. I have not needed to take time off since after Western States. So I am due. That does not mean I like it! 😁😆 

I finally managed to get Sam out of the house around 10:00 for grocery shopping and a trip to Target, and then after lunch, we met up with Mom and Dad for a walk in the Commons. The sun was bright although brrr, it was chilly in the shade. But nice to get out and have a chance to catch up with Mom and Dad! (1.87 miles walked)



And then we went to Fielder's Choice afterwards and I got a nice big sundae 😋 Still eating as I feel and without guilt or thought of calories or anything, although certainly I am still always making sure I eat my fruit, veggies and protein. I would say I've have been hungrier than normal but not terribly so. Perhaps again another sign that fueling during the race went well?

Friday, Val and I were hoping to meet up for a morning walk but boy was it nasty out. So instead she stopped over to pick up the pop-up tent and hung out drinking coffee with us for a bit! Nice to catch up!😃 Then it was on to the rest of the regular Friday errands and chores, and for a bit of movement, I got on the indoor track for a walk during swim in the early evening. It was pouring like crazy so I was very glad for an indoor option. (2.2 miles walked)

Saturday morning, Sam and I went downtown to go to the farmer's market and see what we would find for Christmas in the local stores during the Early Bird Sale, and yes, we got Pumpkin Pie gelato at 11:00 am 😂😉


Then after lunch, we met up with Mom and Dad and all went exploring at one of the new Brunswick Topsham Land Trust trails - Androscoggin Woods. Pretty loop through the woods and along the river on existing trails that I suspect run farther than just what we accessed through the preserve. Short but fun to get out on new trails, especially on a bright and sunny afternoon. (1.1 miles walked)






Some sort of horsetail. Neat.

Sunday morning, I decided to get out for a longer solo walk. I really would like to run but I know I'll benefit from a few more days off. Another bright, crisp, beautiful November day. Looped around on the powerlines and Highland Green Road. (3.25 miles walked)

Beautiful, even after the color has disappeared

All in all, a good week of walking and I'm encouraged by how my body feels. We'll see how it goes once I start back to running though, but for now, feeling like recovery has been pretty good!

In kitty cat news, I got Ronnie a bed. Of course, what happens, but Gig immediately takes it over 😹 Sorry, old buddy! 

I'm pretty sure this is the cat equivalent of WTF?! 





No comments: