Monday, March 1, 2021

End of February

We are gaining light at a wonderful rate this time of year! It is so lovely to have more daylight both in the mornings and the evenings. I know we have a fair amount of winter left, but the lengthening daylight leaves me dreaming of spring flowers 🌷

This was a busy work week and Monday was no exception. Sam and I did get out for a short walk around the school block before lunch, though. Sidewalks were not in the best condition - very icy - but it is always nice to walk and talk with the kiddo. (1.7 miles walked)

Way too icy on Tuesday morning to even want to contemplate running, but since I had to be on the computer from 5-6:30 for a board meeting, I decided to take a break mid-afternoon for a run. Came home from work around 2:00 and was able to run early enough that Ryan could join me before he took Sam to swim practice. It was nice to run a few miles with him 💜 We ran up and back on the roads into Highland Green for 4 miles and then I took another spin around the school block while they headed off to the Y. (6.0 miles)

I really should have run on Wednesday but I knew it would be icy in the morning again and then I just did not have the energy later. Sam was at school - the first of the alternating in-school Wednesdays for the two cohorts at the middle school - so Ryan and I walked the long way to meet her at school at dismissal. Sidewalks were still pretty bad. How is it "cleared" if it's covered in snow and ice?! (2.0 miles walked)

Because I hadn't gotten myself out on Wednesday, I headed out into the whipping wind in the darkness on Thursday morning. Thankfully it was reasonably warm but the wind gusts were pretty strong, and you guessed it, the sidewalks were icy. Luckily the school roads and Highland Green are nice and quiet in the early morning hours so I just ran down the middle of the road! 😂😉 Pretty sunrise along the back portion of Highland Green Road. (6.0 miles)

Friday morning, I headed over to Brad as temps had dropped overnight and I knew the biker groomers had been out grooming the singletrack. Temps were in the low 20s with bright blue skies and a bit of wind. A bit chilly to start but I warmed up as I ran along. The lot was relatively full even at 8:00 am but I didn't see anyone on the mountain side as I ran up to the summit and down around Boundary. Ran into about a dozen bikers in the next 5 miles on the east side, however. Can't say I blame them, the singletrack was well groomed and great running, and I'm sure riding as well! I actually thought some of the best running was on the lesser-used trails that hadn't had a groom overnight, they had set up firmly and were perfect for spikes. Nice to get out on the trails! (8.3 miles)



Saturday, the forecast was for rain the majority of the day, so I got up and out early for a run on the trails around home. Headed out on the powerlines and ran a bit of the Gone Fishing network. Conditions had changed a lot since last weekend's running. A lot more ice, more rotten snow, some ice puddles and some bare spots too. Not bad running, but the spikes were most definitely needed. Temps warmed up a fair amount while I was out there, even though it was early and it just seemed like spring was in the air. (8.3 miles)
 


The rain and snow started around 9:30 am and kept up all day so we had a nice quiet inside day. Of course, all the rain and temps hovering right around freezing when I awoke on Sunday meant that there was a nice sheen of ice on things outside. I decided to wait until a bit later to go out in the hopes that some of the ice would melt, but even though I didn't head out until around 8:30, things were still pretty icy with a lot of ice slicks across the side roads. Just meandered around on the roads. A nice, calm, mild morning. (12.0 miles)

We met up with Mom and Dad later in the afternoon for a walk downtown for gelato (yum!) and back to their house for some games and dinner. A nice way to wrap up the weekend! (2.0 miles walked)


Wrapped up February with 159 miles run for a total of 329.1 for the year, 25.0 miles walked and 7.0 miles xc skied. Not too bad for a short, rather messy month!

And just for fun, here is the silly Gigi photo of the week. I mean, why wouldn't sitting in the sun on the laptop stand with the keyboard and keyrest as a pillow be comfortable?! 😹


No comments: