Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Busy Busy

So busy I didn't get around to posting this until Wednesday evening!

It's that crazy end of school time when there are activities happening almost every day and a lot going on. The to do list for work is pretty much endless these days, and Ryan was away Tuesday through Thursday, so let's just say it's been a busy week. Whew.

My training plan these days pretty much seems to be "start your run week on Wednesday, run five days, take two days off." Oh well. It is what it is. I'll try to turn it around once school gets out for Sam and I have a little more wiggle room in the mornings, but for now, I'm just rolling with it.

Monday was a planned day off from running, but I really had intended to get up and out on Tuesday morning before Ryan headed over to NH for a work conference. Obviously that did not happen. And then the day just slipped away from me and work consumed me until 5:00, by which point I was done and nothing more than making dinner and sitting on the couch for the rest of the night was going to happen. We didn't go to swim as Sam's team had had a field trip out to the LL Bean outdoor center in Freeport where they did various team building activities for the day. 

So, with that, I was up and out on Wednesday morning a little before 6:00 am to loop around Highland Green Road to get in 7 miles before 7:00 am, as it was Step Up Day for Sam and she wanted to be sure to be up on time since Lauren's dad was picking her up so they could walk into the high school together. Humid and sunny. One salamander, I think it might be a red-backed salamander, seen. Neat. (7.0 miles) 



😍

A rather rainy afternoon and evening, so I took my walk indoors around the track during swim practice. (2.0 miles walked)

The chorus and band groups were headed on a roadtrip on Thursday morning, down to Metheun to the Great East Music Festival to perform, and then on to Boston to the Museum of Science for the afternoon. That meant a 6:00 am arrival at school to get on the bus, so after I dropped her off, I headed out from my run. Ran the cart paths and added a bit extra on the roads at the end. Muggy. (7.0 miles)


Do you see the deer? πŸ¦ŒπŸ’—


Sam's chorus group at the Music Hall

I had originally been planning on some hill work on Friday but instead, I pretty much did the exact opposite and headed out to Pennelville for a flat road run instead πŸ˜‚ But I love it out there, and had been thinking I wanted to get out that way to run through the fields and out to the ocean and hear the bobolinks, so that is what I did πŸ’— So much beautiful color with lupines and iris in bloom, Simpson's Point at low tide and bobolinks chattering amongst the buttercups. (8.0 miles)




One of my favorite views




Then after my typical Friday errands, I got in a short walk around the Bath block during swim practice later in the day. (1.7 miles walked)

Black locust in bloom everywhere

Totally recognize that I should have done my long run on Saturday, as it turned out to not be as bad weatherwise as forecast, but I also just needed a bit of downtime mentally and to be able to have a reasonably chill not with a quiet morning and to not rush out the door. So instead, after finishing my book, I finally headed across the street around 9:00 am to do the hill work I did not do on Friday 😏😜Mt. A. is just a small bump, but it'll do. 12 times up and over, via some road and some trail. Air was quite heavy. Milkweed, blackberry brambles, viburnum and sheep laurel in bloom. One thrush seen. (8.0 miles)


Out back, one of the self-seeded columbines that has come up right against the house is in bloom and the groundhog has not found it yet. So pretty! 



After a quiet afternoon at home, we headed over to Mom and Dad's to celebrate Mom's birthday. Indian food and Crazy Cake! That is my kind of dinner. Yum! And so grateful to be able to celebrate these days together πŸ’—Happy Birthday, Mom. We love you.





Sunday morning, I headed out at 7:00 am to get in my long run. Nice morning. I ran the cart paths and down to the river before heading across the street to run the Highlands trail and then along the Town Landing Trail before connecting up to the powerlines and Gone Fishing trails for the remainder of the miles. Two snapping turtles seen, one moved from the road, one laying eggs very close to the edge of the road. The glorious smell of hay scented ferns, blackberry brambles and Dames rocket, plus some long grass but thankfully no ticks! Definitely some brown tail spots. And definitely warm. So much sweat πŸ’¦πŸ€ͺ (18.1 miles)











Then it was home to shower, eat an early lunch and a big piece of leftover birthday cake from mom’s birthday yesterday, and head up to the botanical gardens to take in all the flowers! πŸ’–πŸŒΈIt was a beautiful afternoon, and as always the gardens were looking lovely and it is a treat to be able to stroll through this piece of property and enjoy it all. (2.4 miles walked)





















And of course, as is tradition, we had to make a stop at Fielder's Choice on the way home for ice cream! Yum. What a fun way to wrap up the weekend! πŸ˜‹πŸ¦



No comments: