Sunday, March 12, 2023

Spring Ahead

Work was a bit crazy this week. Our ED is leaving, there are a lot of upcoming deadlines, a program audit and I'm still helping our newest employee settle into her role. I will readily admit to feeling stressed and a bit prickly as a result. Sigh. 

In any event, took Monday as a zero day and worked a long day. Tuesday, I had planned to run in the afternoon but my 1:00 meeting went way long and I didn't end up getting home until 4:00, as which point I simply did not have the energy to get out the door. But I figured a bit of movement would be good, so got in a walk on the track during late swim practice. (2.2 miles walked) 

Yup, nothing like starting the running week on Wednesday 😜😐😂 Oh well, not like I haven't done that before... Wednesday I was working from home with no meetings (ahhh...) so I got some work done  in the early morning hours and then headed out for my run at 9:00. I couldn't resist trying the powerlines but things were a bit too soft with too little traffic, so after 3 miles, I bailed to the roads for the return trip. (7.0 miles)


Thursday was an afternoon Highland Green run. Windy, and muddy mucky on the back dirt road where the construction vehicles have torn things up. (7.0 miles)

Friday, I had a late morning work meeting I needed to sit in on, so I got a few errands done after dropping Sam at school and then headed out for a road run around town at 9:30. Bright and windy, with tired legs and not feeling quite as smooth as I would have liked, but oh well. (7.0 miles)


Friday evening was Sam's final swim meet of the season, the Y State meet. We are incredibly lucky that the Bath Y is one of the best pools in the Y system throughout the state, and so for the second year in a row, the State meet was being held at our home pool. With so many kids swimming, they split the meet up over three days, and Sam's group was slated for Friday evening. Kind of a tough time after a full day of school but she swam well, and we are incredibly proud of her improvement and dedication to the team and her own swimming this season! Way to go, kiddo 💗👏 And now, it is time for a bit of a swim break after 6 months of solid swimming. 

Headed out early on Saturday in in the hopes of more solid trail conditions, and ran the powerlines out to the Gone Fishing trails. Things were more solid than Wednesday but rather choppy and uneven out to Rt. 24. Once I hit the Lover's Lane loop that had been groomed for the mountain bikers, things were in much better shape, although with temps not quite cold enough things weren't entirely solidly set. Still, some decent running. (8.1 miles)


Sam headed to OOB with Lauren and family, so it was a quiet afternoon, which was fine with me as frankly I was feeling pretty tired. Headed to bed early and was glad I did, as even though I had written it down, I'd forgotten we'd be losing an hour with daylight savings. I woke up naturally at my regular time around 5:00 am on Sunday but of course, it actually was 6:00 instead! I know having the extra light in the evenings is nice, but it's hard to go back to sunrise being around 7:00 am again now. Definitely not going to help me get back into my early morning running 😂😂 I think I'm just going to have to accept that that might not happen until May sometime once sunrise is back to being earlier in the morning and the days are getting warmer and the trails have melted out and it is spring. 

Speaking of spring, I know we are not quite there yet, but my favorite harbringer of the season arrived in the backyard today - first red winged blackbird of the season seen out back eating seed on Sunday morning!😍


Ryan headed up to Mt. Abram to ski and I headed out for a run. I thought it had been cold enough overnight that the trails might be reasonably good, so ran a bit of a mishmash of trails and roads out to Lover's Lane and then hopped on the Gone Fishing trails. Ran the entirety of the system, and things were mostly solid, although the trails were more torn up than I thought they would be, although mostly by deer 😆😆 On the return trip, the snow was getting soft in the bright sun. Definitely a bit of a meandering run but glad to get in some miles on a nice morning. (13.1 miles)

We wrapped up the weekend with dinner at Mom and Dad’s, which was delish, and it was great to see them! Mom ended up getting Covid at the tail end of February vacation week so we haven’t seen them since then. Luckily, she had a reasonably mild case and is feeling mostly back to normal, just still a bit of extra fatigue hanging on. 

No comments: