Sunday, January 29, 2023

Fun & Grumblings

It snowed all day on Mondays, so another snowday for Sam and a work at home day for me. I'd say we got between 10" and 12" of snow. We just stayed inside all day, but Ryan got stuck traveling home in the late evening in the final hours of the storm. He had a great trip aside from all the travel issues though!

Knew there would be a lot of snow removal happening on Tuesday morning, so I didn't even attempt to go out for a run, just waited until 3:00 pm to head out. Very sloppy even so. Second half of the back dirt road hadn't yet been plowed out, which was too bad as the Inov-8s were nice and grippy on the packed snow on the other portion of the road. (6.0 miles)

Wednesday morning, thing had iced up enough that it seemed unwise to run in the darkness, and by the time I left work in the afternoon, it had started to snow again. I pretty much just threw up my hands and said forget it. Which meant that Thursday afternoon was another Highland Green run. It was reasonably warm and while the sidewalks were sketchy, the roads were clear with the exception of numerous puddles. Still, my mood was reading pretty much like this meme. Winter was seriously messing with things!😂😑😉 (6.2 miles)

Took Sam to late swim in the evening and walked around the track for my customary 30 minutes. (2.3 miles walked)

Had an appointment Friday morning to get my license renewed and then headed over to Pennelville for a run around and down to Simpson's Point. Never tire of the ocean views. Thankfully the majority of the pavement was dry and clear, with only a few ice slicks to walk over and a few stops needed due to traffic. (8.0 miles)



Sam had a sleepover at Lauren's house Friday night, so Ryan and I headed downtown to Enoteca Athena for a delicious meal and a few drinks. Cheers!🍷🍸Fun to have an evening out!


Saturday morning, I couldn't resist checking out the powerlines, but while they looked promising with the lines rolled the previous evening and at least one previous snowmobile track, the snow was much softer than I would have anticipated and really wasn't packed at all unless I hit that prior track below the rolled snow. Any wet spots were either open water, mud, frozen icy death cookies or all three. Just not quite worth the effort, so after hitting Lover's Lane, I headed back via the roads. Had to put the spikes back on as the back dirt road was a full-on ice rink. Ah, winter running, gotta love it! Spitting snow and wind on the back half, but the sky was pretty heading out on the powerlines just after sunrise. (7.2 miles)





Then it was off to pick up Sam from the sleepover and do a few errands. I'll readily admit to feel a bit grouchy and probably hungry, so when Ryan then suggested a ski at Pineland in the late afternoon, I was not at all enthused. Ha. Sam voted to stay home and relax, and I eventually came around, and really did end up enjoying being out there once we got going. Emily joined us, and it was mostly she and I skiing together, with Ryan doing a lot of waiting for us 😂 and adding on some extra kms once we decided we were ready to head back to the cars. I couldn't believe how many people were there - it was packed! - but on the other hand, it was a nice afternoon and conditions were really pretty good with some nice tracks laid down for classic. (4.7 miles skiied)



We went out for a drink after our ski and then headed home with Japanese take-out. A full Saturday, and a fun afternoon!

Another relatively early start for today's run as we had brunch plans with Mom and Dad. Headed out around 7:15 and ran down to the bike path. Sidewalks were in reasonably crappy shape, and although the connector path was fairly grippy and not a bad surface, the bridge from Elm to the bike path had not been plowed at all and was a total sh*tshow. Ugh! I mean, seriously. How is this acceptable?!



Did have a pretty view out along the river, and saw two big eagles in an old oak tree along Elm Street. Legs weren’t feeling super peppy, but just kind of kept on moving and got it done. Haven't quite managed to up the mileage this month on my long run as I had originally intended, but this was a step in the right direction. (14.0 miles)



Then it was off to brunch at Mae's. Yum! And good to catch up for a few hours with Mom and Dad 😊



No comments: