Friday, March 8, 2019

Short Week at School and Work

Snow started overnight on Sunday and continued until around noon on Monday, which meant a snowday for Sam. It was already going to be a short week at work for me as Thursday was a half day due to teacher development, so I worked the morning at home and then threw in the towel after lunch when Anne, Thistle and Phil came over for some sledding! Fun! I'd say we got about 6" of wet compacted snow out of the storm.


Tuesday I headed out for an early morning run, and was thankful to find it windless and beautiful. Gorgeous light! It was a morning of many stops to put on/take off the spikes 😂 The snowmobile trail was a bit too soft, so I took off my spikes and ran the Highland Green loop, putting the spikes back on for the back dirt/ice road portion and then taking them off again for the short stretch until I got back to the powerlines, put the spikes back on, then took them back off at the end and ran Canam to finish up the run. Ha! (6.0 miles)

Start of the run

Looking back around mile 4.5

Wednesday, I simply did not get up in time for my planned workout, but instead of scrapping it entirely, I headed out (without a headlamp! 🙌) around 5:45 and ran a few loops through the neighborhood, adding in 10x 60 on/90 off after a mile warm-up. The "ons" varied in intensity depending on if I hit any ice, or if there were any cars coming my way, or if I hit a turn-around midway through 😂😉 But hey, even a little bit of speed is better than none! (5.0 miles)

No running Thursday, as I went into work early to get in 4+ hours before heading back out at 11:45 am to pick up Sam at school at early dismissal. We had sushi for lunch with Anne, Thistle and Kristen and then joined them for an early afternoon screening of Legos 2. Yummy lunch, good company, wacky movie 😆 Then it was off to Target and the grocery store before heading home. 


Knowing I didn't have to be back super early this morning since I didn't need to get Sam ready for school, yes, another professional development day, I headed out right as the sun was rising at 6:05 am for my run. I will also admit to procrastinating as long as I could because, well, it was -2 degrees. I mean, WTF, March?! Seriously.... 

Brrr...

Despite the cold, it was a great run. Conditions were pretty sweet with the trails nicely packed and I ran some of the meandering mountain bike trails out near the dump pond, which were really nice running! Watched the sun rise as I ran out along the powerlines and then enjoyed the quiet woods. Finished covered in frost but very happy! Always good to get in a good snow run! (8.1 miles)


Thank you fat bikers!


I had a few more chores to get done, so Sam helped a bit with cleaning and then we hit the dump to drop off the recycling and the library for a few more books. I baked up a loaf of banana bread and Sam helped me make some vanilla cupcakes before I whipped up my more typical crazy cake chocolate cupcakes to bring up to HVNC for Sunday's fat ass run. Sam's friend Mazie came over after lunch for a nice playdate including playing school upstairs and frosting and decorating cupcakes 😀


And just because she is such a goof, here's Gigi, sitting very nicely with one paw in my croc 😂 She's a funny one!


No comments: