Sunday, March 24, 2019

50 + 500

By the time I was planning to head out for my run around 8:00 am on Friday, a steady snow was falling with more than a solid dusting on the ground already. Darn, should have gotten up and out in the darkness! I wouldn't have avoided the wind, but I would have been able to run under clear skies. Sigh. Oh well. So it was out into the elements instead! I decided running on the roads would probably be unwise given the conditions, so I put my spikes in my pocket and decided to head out to the Cathance in the hopes of at least avoiding the wind down in the woods! Snow quickly changed to hail as I ran along the golf course and then a little bit later to rain. Combined with the wind and temps just above freezing, and you pretty much have what I consider my least favorite conditions, but such as it is. Honestly, out on the trails, things were fairly decent. Trails were a bit softer due to warmer temps but nice and tacky with the layer of wet snow/hail/rain, and I was sheltered from the wind.



The last few miles on the roads and sidewalks were slushy, cold, wet and windy, but a bit of suffering is good training, right?! 😁😂 Thankful that I at least was able to switch around my schedule and didn't have to run long on such a nasty day! (8.0 miles)

It was insanely windy Saturday morning and I was feeling less than enthused, so I lollygagged around in the morning and then finally headed out around 9:00 am. Headed on the roads to Topsham Heights and did a few loops through the neighborhood, checking out the hill at the back of Oak Ridge as an additional hill option. A good way to get in some hills! (7.0 miles)

The rest of the day was spent working on a few things around the house and then this morning was long run time! Headed out on the roads to run down to the ocean, out via Pleasant Hill and Highland, along Bunganuc and Rossmore, down to Simpson's Point, through Pennellville and home again. Nice and sunny, with a bit of wind but nowhere near yesterday's fierceness and temps warming steadily throughout the run. Not feeling super spry but still a solid run and a nice way to round out a week where I finally got above 50 miles for a total of 51.8! Also hit 500 miles during the run, so super happy with that given that March isn't over quite yet. (22.0 miles)



After lunch, Sam and I went out for ice cream while Ryan got in his run. Yes, we asked him if he wanted to join us but he's still battling some sinus pressure so a big cone of dairy is not appealing yet. However, I was quite happy to enjoy my first sundae at Fielder's Choice this season 😋🍦

Then after Ryan had his lunch, we headed over to the Cathance for a short afternoon hike. So lovely out! Trails were variable with some slippery ice, lots of snow coney snow and even a bit of much. The river was roaring, and as always, I'm always grateful for time out on the trails with my two loves 💗 (1.25 miles walked)



This pretty much sums it up 😂 Really, Daddy?!?!


Still a lot of snow out there...

Pileated activity


All in all, a very good weekend! 

1 comment:

Scout said...

Nice milestones! I like the family walk after the long run. I do the Piper walk. It really loosens up the parts :)