Thursday, September 13, 2018

Back to Routine

First full week of school and first week of fall XC for Sam. Swimming doesn't fully start up for another few weeks, which gives us a nice chance to ease a bit back into the school routine before adding all the activities into the mix!

That being said, I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to getting up and out in the full darkness. Monday, I did not get up and out for a run even though I really should have. Instead I snuck out of work a little early, got in an unintentionally speedy run around Highland Green as I was running short on time, quickly changed into new running clothes and then went to pick Sam up for XC practice. (5.0 miles)

With all the construction around the high school and the rest of the fields being used up for football and soccer, XC has been moved to Head of Tides Park. The kids really enjoyed the trail and did a great job! In my mind, it's not an ideal location for a young rec XC team for a few reasons, but we have a small team which makes it manageable and it's fun to expose the kids to some different and technical terrain! (1.4 miles with the kiddos)

Tuesday, it was pouring cats and dogs all morning and I had a 7:00 am dentist appointment, so no running occurred ;) But rest is part of training so it's all good :)

Wednesday, yet again I did not get up and out in the morning. Gah. So once again, headed out of work a bit early to get in a run before picking Sam up. Once again rather short on time, I kept the run short but did get down to the river, which was nice. The weather is back to summer-esque mugginess though. So sweaty! (5.3 miles)

This morning I finally managed to get up with my alarm and out into the darkness at 5:15. Had to use the headlamp for the first 4 miles today with the overcast skies. Ran the cart paths and added on a loop around the Heath midway through, catching just a bit of lightening in the sky at the overlook.


A bit further along on the cart paths, I caught a glimpse of the fiery sky, which does not show up well in the photos, but it sure was pretty! (6.0 miles)


Second XC practice tonight, and the gate to the parking lot at Head of Tides was locked, so we had to park across the street and herd all the kids across what is a windy road with people driving quite fast. The kids had fun running there once again, but after practice, the parents all agreed that we needed to find another locale due to some safety concerns. I do love running on these trails but I am in full agreement that a place with a good field for games and a safe place without road crossings is much more ideal! We'll see where we end up on Monday ;) (1.2 miles with the older kiddos tonight)

No comments: