Friday, July 27, 2018

Foggy and Muggy

Well the runners lucked out at VT because once Monday hit, we've had nothing but foggy, soggy, muggy, humid weather all week! Aie.

Wednesday morning, I got out early into the fog for a soggy, humid run on the cart paths. Just kept it nice and easy. Saw a deer with three fawn, so cute, but they scared up too quickly for me to get a photo! Other than that, the highlight was finding blueberries, raspberries and blackberries to snack on during the run. Always a good thing! (6.1 miles)

This morning, I headed over to Bradbury for a long run. Incredibly foggy and humid yet again, and the rocks, roots and bridges were slick and slippery from yesterday's rain. Ran out onto the west side, following the new BBU course but found the powerline grasses way too tall and potentially itchy and ticky to stick to the new loop, so I backtracked and then ran the new Royal River trail out and back as well. Lots of mushrooms, indian pipe and one pretty patch of yellow pinesap, and not much else, although the thrushes were trilling nicely in the fog.

Foggy views up to Coyote Corner

Yellow Pinesap along the Royal River trail

Foggy view from the summit

I was pretty much drenched as soon as I started running and just kept a mellow pace, drinking lots of water and a few salt tabs along with my gels. Got in 11.5 miles and then back at the lot changed shirts, refilled my pack, drank some ice water, had a snack, toweled myself off and waited for Anne to join me. She ended up running a bit behind so I could have run a bit more before stopping but the break was a nice in a way.

The fog was lifting as I waited and the sun was coming out. Whew, getting warm and still wicked humid! When Anne arrived, we headed out onto the east side where I hoped I could guide us along the reverse Mindy route that Val and I had run the last time I was at Brad. I think I succeeded ;) We had a great time chatting as we ran along and while I was definitely getting tired, I felt decent, although I was most certainly flinging sweat everywhere ;) Finished up with a lap around the parking lot, because I'm one of those crazies, for a nice round 19 miles. Definitely happy with the miles and glad to have gotten in a solid first long run of the next training cycle! (19.0 miles)

No comments: