Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rough Day and Night

After being a wonderful baby all day long on Easter, Sam was a total nightmare Sunday night. She kept waking up, hour after hour, and was inconsolable. She wasn't hungry, she was just upset. I don't know what it was. Probably a combination of still being a bit congested, teething, having a growth spurt and who knows what else. Whatever it was, she was not happy and she was letting us know. She was also determined that we all not sleep. Needless to say, we woke up Monday morning very tired and a bit distraught.

Then, to add insult to injury, she refused to go down for a morning nap. Finally, out of sheer frustration and desperation, because despite what she thought, she really did need to nap, I threw on my running clothes and stormed out the door with her in the B.O.B. for a short run. I was exhausted from being up most of the night, and still tired from Sunday's 16 miler, but I figured if I got her out there she might fall asleep. It was another nice warm day, and I did laps around the high school. By the time I was 20 minutes into my run, she was asleep. Hurray! I ran for 10 more minutes, figuring that would get me 3+ miles, and then walked the rest of the way around. By that time, my parents had arrived and walked out to meet me. I went inside to take a shower, and they took second shift, keeping Sam moving until she woke up. Thanks guys!

After round #2 of avacado, during which Sam had much of the same reaction as on Sunday, we all went over to visit with Nate, Shannon, Finley and their newest addition - little Charlotte. She is a cutie and it was great to meet her. She and Sam are only 6 months apart, so I know they'll be good buddies when they're both old enough to be mobile :-) By the time we finished visiting, it was after 1:00 and so we met up with Ryan for a late lunch at Frontier. Yum! Sam sat on the table in the BebePod, chomping on a spoon while we ate. She was getting pretty tired by the time we left, and she fell asleep before we even got home, which is less than 3 miles away! So, I spent the afternoon driving circles through Topsham and Bowdoinham, letting her sleep.

Luckily, she had a much better night last night, so we'll keep her :-)

4 comments:

mindy said...

Sorry about the sleep issues :( Check out this podcast with Teresa Strasser interviewing a baby sleep expert:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/TPEBlog/2010/04/01/catch-some-zzzs-w-sleep-expert-kathy-sinclair/

I love this podcast even though I don't have kids!

Scout said...

I don't think I would have survived without the running stroller. Hang in there!

Scout said...

PS. Ryan and Sam would have twice the number of teeth if they actually were teething all the times we thought they were!

Sparkplug said...

Mindy, thanks for the podcast link! I will listen to it today at lunch! And Val, yes, the BOB is turning into an indispensable item... and Sam should certainly have teeth now for all the drooling she's been doing! :-)