Monday, September 19, 2022

Disarray and Resetting

The work on the bathroom continues.... aie. So the house remains in disarray and once again, thank goodness for Mom and Dad’s shower!! 

But at least by Wednesday, I was feeling pretty much back to normal and was working on resetting things in the midst of the chaos.

Monday, I worked at home and got out for a short and slow walk in the late afternoon, just to move the legs and see how I felt. Definitely still low energy. (1.7 miles walked)

Tuesday, I decided my best course of action was to get as much sleep as I could so I did not get up early to run. Instead, I got out after Sam got home from school for a mellow run around the Highland Green block. Still feeling a bit off but not bad all things considered. So so humid 💦💦💦(6.0 miles)

Wednesday was late start, so I headed out just as the sky was lightening for a run on the powerlines. Pretty morning light, mushrooms, ghost pipes and late summer asters. Felt better overall, although my legs felt kinda clunky. (9.0 miles)




I did contemplate going over to Bradbury to run the UXBBA on Friday, just because, but in the end, my heart wasn't in it so I headed over to Freeport instead for a fun little trail adventure. Started out on the Chase Reserve trails, running them up to Brimstone Hill and then along the fields and through the woods to the end of Litchfield Road. Boy, are these trails technical and slow going! But it was a pretty morning to be out, nice and cool.

 


Once I hit Litchfield Road, I headed towards Wolfe's Neck, veering off onto the Field Estuary trails, which I had never explored before. More thin technical ribbons of singletrack, with two dead-end spurs that led down to the edge of the saltwater marsh. Many mushrooms, and much aster and goldenrod. A fun additional exploration. 






Then it was back onto the roads and up to the park, where I looped around, enjoying the trails that seemed relatively tame compared to the rest of the route so far, and the ocean views, before heading down to the campground. Surprised to see so many people camping although I guess the weather certainly has been good for it! Meandered around the campground loops and along the trail between the two before heading onto the Deer Run Trail and connecting to Whippoorwill Woods and the Brewer Trail before popping back out onto Flying Point Road. 





Ran back on the road for the final few miles and added on the smaller ocean-side Calderwood loop, finishing back at the car with the watch reading exactly 20. How's that for exact?! Legs felt tired, but it was a nice time on feet effort and good mix of trail and roads. Was it "enough"? I don't know, but given how I felt on Sunday and earlier this week, I'm happy with it, and I know in the end, I just am going to have to go with what I've put in the tank and see how it all shakes out at No Business! (20.0 miles)

Later in the afternoon, we all got our updated Covid shots, and then headed over to Mom and Dad's to shower (again), staying for a yummy dinner of Japanese, because who doesn't like take-out after a long run?!

Although Ryan and Sam woke up with headaches and sore arms, I somehow managed to escape the headache, so after a rather leisurely few hours in the morning, I finally headed out around 8:00 am for my run. Not the spryest run ever, but it sure was a beautiful morning to be out! 45 degrees and longsleeves = oh so lovely! (10.0 miles)


Then it was home to cook up some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies to enjoy nice and warm from the oven while sitting on the couch for a bit with a cup of tea and my book, because, well, who doesn't want cookies on a cool September Saturday morning after a run, especially when the guys are upstairs sanding the bathroom ceiling?! 😂🤦🏼‍♀️


Slept much better on Saturday night, and arm was feeling better by Sunday morning which means I even managed my very light and short arm weight routine before heading out to run. Ran up around Highland Green, then out on the Cathance trails to Head of Tides before returning via roads and the powerlines. But that was too short so had to make some convoluted wanderings to get to my intended mileage goal. Some cool fungi, winterberries emerging in their red brilliance and one young catbird seen. Moved the catbird off the trail - hope it is OK. Felt decent overall with good energy and legs feeling fine which I'll definitely take as a positive sign, given that this was the end of a 3-day 45 mile block and a 60 mile week. (15.0 miles)









No comments: