Monday, September 6, 2021

180

Doing a 180 here in terms of my fall racing. Instead of one big 100 mile loop on almost entirely singletrack trail down in rural Tennessee/Kentucky, I'll be running 4 mile lollypops on a flat rail trail/fairgrounds road in New Hampshire. 

Back at the end of 2020, when I confirmed my deferral registration into the 2021 No Business 100, I was hopeful and excited. At the start of the summer, I still felt the same. It seemed like we were turning a corner with the virus. But alas, by mid-August, I was feeling anxious and stressed, watching as the Delta variant spread and vaccinations stalled throughout the country, looking at rising Covid numbers in the south and pondering the safety of traveling. I was left with a feeling that heading to the race was just plain a bad idea. I fully recognize that running and training for a 100 is an inherently selfish endeavor. I've learned, for the most part, to accept this, as there are so many positives that come out of it all, but traveling for pleasure for a race into a high risk area seemed far beyond what was acceptable, it started to raise alarm bells in my brain, no matter how many precautions I knew I could and would take, given that Samantha is still unvaccinated. (I hold no judgement against those who are choosing to travel now; it is just not right for me. October 9th and 12 years old can't come fast enough!!)

So, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth and talking with Ryan, I decided that No Business was, once again, not going to happen for me. I was seriously bummed. I so want to run this race, and canceling for a 2nd year in a row just plain stinks. Sigh. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm? But regardless, 2021 is not going to be the year. 

As Ryan rightfully noted, I did not have to replace No Business. I could just accept that a 100 wasn't going to happen and move on. But I wanted to race this fall. So, I looked around and ended on Hamsterwheel. The complete opposite of No Business. But, part of me was anxiously excited to see if I could accomplish one of the scarier goals I have been holding inside. Could I run 100 miles in under 24 hours? Which is how I ended up on ultrasignup, signing myself up for the 24 hour version of the race. I could have gone for the 30 hour, knowing it would allow me to get in 100 miles with more certainty, but the challenge is to complete the mileage in under 24. I don't know if I can, but I'm looking forward to trying! 

Also, very fun that there will be a number of Trail Monsters there running, and that Ryan is signed up for the 6 hour! And I am super excited that Emma, incredibly nicely, offered to come be at the race and pace me. She will be my secret weapon 😍😎

---

Couldn't quite manage to drag myself out of bed and into the darkness on Tuesday morning. The combination of later sunrises and back to school means that morning runs are going to need a headlamp now. This is always a tough transition, and today I didn't get it done. So instead, I found myself running on the powerlines in the late afternoon with heavy legs, feeling like I was plodding along in the heat. Sigh. Trails were nice and quiet though. (7.0 miles)

Wednesdays are a bit more forgiving, as they are late start, meaning Sam gets up at 7:30 instead of 6:30 so my runs can start a bit later. Headed out a few minutes after 6:00 and ran a road loop around town. Cool but still humid. (8.0 miles)

Hurricane Ida arrived in the evening hours, bringing with it a lot of rain. I was happy to have already scheduled Thursday as a day off from running!

Friday morning dawned cool and lovely. Sam had the day off from school, and I knew I wanted to check a few things off my to do list before lunch so that we could get out for a walk in the afternoon. So I was out early, enjoying the cooler temps and the pretty sky. Also took a lovely fall down the newish trail down the hill after Rt. 24, losing my glasses and earbud off my head and my phone flying from my pocket as I skidded downhill. Sigh. Apparently I am getting klutzy in my old age 😁😩😩😆😆 Apart from that, a good run. One pileated woodpecker seen and heard, and so many asters 💗 (10.1 miles)



After errands and getting some things done around the house, we headed out to Harpswell mid-afternoon for a hike. Temps had warmed up but there was a nice breeze, and we enjoyed a good walk around the Long Reach Preserve loop. Always such a pretty spot to visit! In the final half mile, we were treated to a few flyovers by the Blue Angels practicing for the weekend's air show. Insanely loud and some incredible manueverings. (1.7 miles walked)







Saturday morning, Ryan was headed to Freeport for the TMR group run, so I was up and out early again. Temps were in the high 50s. Ah, so nice! Cool and comfortable, and just kept things nice and easy. Ran the cart paths and added on a loop down to the river and back. (8.0 miles)


Sam had a sleepover at Abby's, so after I dropped her off down the street around 3:00, I kept going and got in an easy walk around the block. Ryan had decided 15 miles for the day was enough, so he did not join me 😂 Saw a few of the planes from the airshow flying over. (1.5 miles walked)

Sunday morning, I headed out from home around 7:00 am. I decided on an around town wander and as Ryan always comments on my long runs from home, the route might have looked chaotic in pattern, but I know the mileage enough to end up getting what I wanted, right on the nose 😉 Looped around town on the roads and added on the Highlands Trail, then up and over Suicide Hill and back out on the powerlines towards the Gone Fishing trails. Finished up with a loop around the Heath and on the school roads. Nice morning with temps in the 50s. Felt so nice. Still humid, but much more manageable with cooler temps! Felt decent. (22.0 miles)




Mom and Dad came over later in the afternoon and while Ryan and Dad headed over to Highland Green for 9 holes of golf, Mom, Sam and I headed out for a walk. We walked up into the old Liberty neighborhood and along the school roads, and had some great flyovers by the Blue Angels as they did their maneuverings during the airshow. Very cool! (2.7 miles walked)






No comments: