Monday, February 15, 2021

More Like Mid-Winter

It was Ryan's birthday on Monday, but it also was a fairly typical day with school and work to be done. We did all get out for a walk around the school block after lunch. Sidewalks were still snow-covered after Sunday night's snow and it was quite windy. (1.8 miles walked)

We had Mom and Dad over for "fancy" dinner to celebrate, or as fancy as we get anyway! Steak (and salmon for me), rice pilaf, roasted asparagus, beets and carrots, plus wine (and beer for Ryan and lemonade for Sam) followed up by the pie Sam and I made on Sunday. Yum! Happy Birthday, Ryan! 💗

Tuesday, miracle of all miracles, I actually did get up and out for a run! Stuck to the roads which were rather messy still. Tried to get 2 TMR bingo squares, but my frosted hair wasn't quite what Val was going for with hair-sickle. 😉 (6.0 miles)

Headlamp run

Frosted hair

Got out again on Wednesday morning, but as I was working from home, I didn't head out quite as early. Roads were in much better shape and it was quite chilly so I managed to get a proper eyelash-sickle for #tmrbingo. I came home totally frosted over. 😂 (6.0 miles)


Thursday was a no run, in office day. This is how I spend my days... lots of paper and all masked up. 😷


Friday, I decided to head over to Bradbury after I dropped Sam off at school. It was quite brisk out with "feels like -5" temps but bright and beautiful. Trails were quiet and the bikes had been out in force, making for good conditions, perfect for spikes. Ticked off a few more Bingo squares too. (8.1 miles)



Face along the trail

Dog on the trail

Did a few errands and then headed home for lunch and house cleaning. Ryan wanted to get out for some movement, so we took the long way to the middle school and picked Sam up at the end of the school day. (1.8 miles walked)

I realized I hadn't yet gotten a "sunrise on the trail" bingo square, so I decided I'd head out early on Saturday in the hopes of catching the sunrise along the powerlines. Sure enough, just caught the tail end of it as I crested the hill just past the end of the gravel road. Lovely. It was cold but very calm. The trails were quiet, just the crunch of snow underfoot, a few woodpeckers pecking and some birdsong. Didn't see anyone else out there. The powerlines were fine but the Gone Fishing trails were quite good and nice and packed. (8.1 miles)




Sam had her last ski lesson at 10:00, and then she went over to Mom and Dad's after lunch to make a cheesecake for Valentine's Day dinner. Yum! 😋 Since we had the afternoon free, Ryan and I decided to get out for a xc ski together. Since we hadn't gotten over to Crystal Spring Farm yet, we thought we'd check it out. While the field was decent, if a bit messy, the trails through the woods were simply a bit too thin, well packed and sketchy for me to really enjoy. I'm just not that confident on my skinny skis for those conditions and that type of trail. Still, it was a nice afternoon to be out, the sun was shining and it was good to spend some time with Ryan! Thanks, Mom and Dad! (2.3 miles xc skied)



Yesterday, I headed out around 7:30 for my long(er) run. I couldn't quite resist the trails, so I headed over into Highland Green and into the Cathance system. Despite the trails being officially closed, they've definitely had a fair amount of traffic although probably not quite as much as they would have if you could park at the trailheads. People had been out in boots and snowshoes and things were rather loosely packed. It was definitely slow going, but quite pretty along the river. 


On the farther reaches the system, the traffic noticeably decreased, so there was a bit of trudging here and there before I popped out and enjoyed a lovely mile or so on the nicely snow-packed back dirt road. From there, I wandered out onto the powerlines for a loop before heading home. They had been out rolling the snowmobile trails overnight so things were a bit soft but still not bad. A very quiet overcast morning. (12.0 miles)

After lunch we pondered where we should go for an afternoon walk and finally decided on the Cliff Trail, hoping it wouldn't be too busy and assuming it would be nice and packed. There were definitely other people out hiking but we had the "summit" to ourselves and only a few encounters with other groups along the way. And the trails were packed down like a highway. We wore our Hillsounds, which were perfect traction for some of the icier spots. We took our time and enjoyed the views along the Reach - the sea ice was really cool! - and with temps in the mid-20s and no wind, it was a really nice afternoon to be out exploring! (2.5 miles walked)















We headed over to Mom and Dad's for dinner and to enjoy the cheesecake that Sam and Mom had baked up on Saturday. Yum! A perfect Valentine's Day dessert! 💗😋



And just because they look so cute and calm... 😻 Ronnie and Gigi cuddling in front of the heater earlier this week. 




























No comments: