Friday, November 22, 2019

Whew

It.has.been.a.week. There was an incident at one of the facilities we manage at work on Monday night. Two people were onsite who were not guests and who should not have been there, and they most definitely should not have had guns. Unfortunately, one of those people died. As a team, we worked hard this week to make sure we are providing support for the families at the shelter, as well as for staff, along with doing all that needed to be done in the face of what can only be called an unexpected and tragic incident. If you want to read more about it, you can read the article here. Thankfully, this is not something that happens often in our town, and is definitely not something we've ever had to deal with as an organization, but most certainly it has made for a shocking, sad, stressful, unsettling week to say the least, along with being seriously exhausting. 

At lunch the other day, after another morning of confirming and conferring again about what we needed to do, who we needed to reach out to, what we needed to follow up on, ensuring that all our guests being given the support they needed, I read this article, and it really spoke to me. I do truly believe there is joy and good, kindness and love, to be found in the word, even if it is sometimes not easy to find.

Is this world perfect? No. Do bad things happen? Do people make poor choices? Yes. See above. But, when I take a deep breathe, there is so much to be thankful for. I am grateful for all the support from the community that we've received this week, grateful that we have the opportunity to serve those who really need it, grateful that there are success stories out there, that we are finding people homes and giving people access to what is a very basic need. I am lucky beyond measure to have supportive, loving family and friends to laugh and talk and be with, wonderful co-workers to spend my work days with, and legs that allow me to run on the trails and roads and find joy in the bright red of the winterberry, the rush of the water in the Cathance, the glimpse of the sun rising on the horizon at the end of Thursday morning's run, even if my legs felt like lead 😂 

So despite reeling a bit from the week's events, I'm with Semi-Rad. I choose wonder, and I will continue to do so. Always. 

Coffee and festive lights to brighten the morning

Sam's beautiful glass art from Anne's birthday party, hanging in the windows 💗


---

So the running has taken a hit this week. There's a saying that stress is stress is stress, whether running stress or work or life stress, and and I know that has certainly been true for me this week.

Ran on the indoor track on Tuesday evening during swim practice. Didn't have a lot of energy but was glad to have the chance to move my body and release a bit of the tension from the day. (5.0 miles)

Wednesday, nope, just nope. Flat out exhausted.

Dragged myself out of bed on Thursday morning even though I was just not feeling it. Hoped it might turn around, but it just didn't. And that's OK. Ran the cart paths in the darkness and caught a glimpse of light on the horizon in the final mile of the run. Days are getting noticeably shorter again now. Semi-frozen ground, some ice, and slick sidewalks along the way. (6.0 miles)

Scrapped the long run plans for the week in light of the circumstances and how I've been feeling. Sometimes it's just better to fold 'em, and this was one of those times. Slept in as long as the cats would let me on Friday and then had a quiet morning until it was time to wake the kiddo up. After dropping her off, I came home to do my strength work and then went out for a mid-morning meander down along the river. A bit slick and wet out in the woods, but just kept the pace slow, stopped to admire the roaring river and the brilliant red winterberry, and gave my heart and mind a chance to just be. Grateful for the calmness that nature and running brings, and felt better for it. (6.1 miles)


Nature's cheer on an overcast day 💗


No comments: