Monday, July 2, 2012

More Cathance

Yana asked me yesterday while we were running along the Cathance river if Ryan and I ran there all the time - it was so beautiful, she commented, and so close! I answered her that sadly, no, we didn't run there all the time. I love that we are so close, and certainly don't take it for granted. But sometimes, I just need a quick run, or don't have time to run the twisty turny trails out in the preserve. So, today, when I did have time, I decided I would get out and enjoy those beautiful trails again!

Because I didn't want to run too many miles today, I drove over to the ecology center parking lot and started my run from there. I started on the same route as yesterday, running down to and along the river.  It was a bit warmer, or maybe just more humid, than yesterday, and there wasn't a breeze. Maybe because of those things, or because I didn't have any other people running with me, but the deer flies were brutal! And they were all mine :-) Oh hurray. When I had climbed up from the river and got to the  field of raspberry bushes, I decided to run the Ravine Loop. As I was running and attempting to dodge the deer flies, I figured I would take the short spur down to the stream, which the Cathance group ran through last November with Ryan, when the water was up to their knees. Today, it was barely a trickle in comparison, and I just couldn't help myself. I decided a tromp through a cold stream sounded delightful and made the spur of the moment decision to run the trails on the other side of the stream. These are "future" trails, but they are really already in place, and even blazed! I've only run them once, a year or so ago with Ryan, but remembered the general gist of them. After meandering through the woods on the tight singletrack, I got to the old woods road and turned right, fighting off deer flies left and right, before making the lollypop back to the singletrack trails in the woods. I recrossed the stream and stopping to splash water on my head, and then took the shortest way back to my car. I ended up with 4.75 miles, and enjoyed the nice breeze out in the open as I cooled down next to the car. Another fun Cathance day!

No comments: